Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I live in Spain,

and im 15 years old. For next week I am going to have to make a presentation about who do I want to be. I like building computers and technology in general. I am unsure but I would like to learn and know if I like programming. Can someone who studies these kind of subjects explain me IT in general and what is the best to learn and which job for that study would be the best.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KristjanR)
    Hey I live in Spain,

and im 15 years old. For next week I am going to have to make a presentation about who do I want to be. I like building computers and technology in general. I am unsure but I would like to learn and know if I like programming. Can someone who studies these kind of subjects explain me IT in general and what is the best to learn and which job for that study would be the best.

Thanks in advance.
    IT in general is very broad. From a high level, IT is mainly broken down into 2 distinct fields: programming/software development and computer engineers. Now, there is a mixture of both known as DevOps, and computers engineers is broken down into many more categories (network engineers, helpdesk support & etcetera), but I will keep this simple.

Programmers/software development is a career which involves programming and learning how to write and develop code to build an application, program, website or something else. To become a programmer it is usually the norm to go and study for a computer science or programming degree, but it can also be a self taught career. People who tend to go this route are those who are extremely logical thinkers and have a passion for building something from near enough nothing.
    Systems Developer: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...tems-developer

Computer engineering is a career which involves the making of computer networks, computers and maintaining them.. this is predominately the infrastructure side of IT rather than the software. To get into this side of IT it is the norm to go and study for an IT degree in Networking, Security or Information Technology. But, again, the field is broad and each degree topic will focus on elements of these, with some being more specialized (networking, for example). This side of IT are for those who like a range of technologies, more variety and have a keen eye for solving complex problems.
    Network Engineer: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...twork-engineer

Please do take a look at some of the career advising websites to get some more advise on the jobs, or drop me a message and i'll do my best to help. I currently work in IT in the infrastructure side and I am shortly due to begin studying for a masters in Advanced Networking, so I can advise more on the computer engineering side of things.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...ion-technology will give you more guidance and some advice on the huge amount of career paths there are in IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wendykiller12)
    IT in general is very broad. From a high level, IT is mainly broken down into 2 distinct fields: programming/software development and computer engineers. Now, there is a mixture of both known as DevOps, and computers engineers is broken down into many more categories (network engineers, helpdesk support & etcetera), but I will keep this simple.

Programmers/software development is a career which involves programming and learning how to write and develop code to build an application, program, website or something else. To become a programmer it is usually the norm to go and study for a computer science or programming degree, but it can also be a self taught career. People who tend to go this route are those who are extremely logical thinkers and have a passion for building something from near enough nothing.
    Systems Developer: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...tems-developer

Computer engineering is a career which involves the making of computer networks, computers and maintaining them.. this is predominately the infrastructure side of IT rather than the software. To get into this side of IT it is the norm to go and study for an IT degree in Networking, Security or Information Technology. But, again, the field is broad and each degree topic will focus on elements of these, with some being more specialized (networking, for example). This side of IT are for those who like a range of technologies, more variety and have a keen eye for solving complex problems.
    Network Engineer: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...twork-engineer

Please do take a look at some of the career advising websites to get some more advise on the jobs, or drop me a message and i'll do my best to help. I currently work in IT in the infrastructure side and I am shortly due to begin studying for a masters in Advanced Networking, so I can advise more on the computer engineering side of things.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...ion-technology will give you more guidance and some advice on the huge amount of career paths there are in IT.
    Thank you for the reply. And you are studying programming? and if so is it hard and explain your point of view please ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.