Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I... can't believe university is this expensive... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2nd year int.student and I just found out that my father paid 21k pounds (19k last year) for university.... I suddenly feel guilty, if I knew this beforehand I wouldn't go all the way here to the UK...

why is university so expensive? especially for terrible education and student treatment where lecturers don't do jack other than parroting the powerpoint slides...

is a single ceritficate paper really this expensive?

and I haven't mention very, very overpriced books yet... (which I never buy)

ahh, why did I go here instead of letting my parents upgrade our house like they always wanted.... regrets...

ReputationRep:
    uni + course pls

ReputationRep:
    Surely you looked at the fees before choosing to come here.

ReputationRep:
    You think buildings pop into existence without money? That the power stays on out of kindness? That the wages of the thousands of people it takes to run the university just appear in the bank accounts without having come from anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    innit!

ReputationRep:
    no unfortunately I didn't. if I did i would've reject every foreign offer... my parents encouraged me to go here, I just "ok, europe country? cool!" but then I just found out the price yesterday.. i don't know what the hell were my parents thinking back then...

and I actually just searched regular student paid only 9k? did I, int.students get scammed? paying 19k+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beruangmacan)
    no unfortunately I didn't. if I did i would've reject every foreign offer... my parents encouraged me to go here, I just "ok, europe country? cool!" but then I just found out the price yesterday.. i don't know what the hell were my parents thinking back then...

and I actually just searched regular student paid only 9k? did I, int.students get scammed? paying 19k+?
    The difference is home rate students get there fees subsidised by the U.K. Tax payer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You think buildings pop into existence without money? That the power stays on out of kindness? That the wages of the thousands of people it takes to run the university just appear in the bank accounts without having come from anything?
    there are thousands of student and the fees are ridiculous, I don't think it's necessary to burden people with 20k fees (loan). it should be crime under scam...

I wonder how much will these music students paying 26k will earn after they graduate...

it's just ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    ah, I haven't mentioned ridiculous housing fees. father... why!!!????? you can use all those money for our family's needs!

ReputationRep:
    The difference is home rate students get there fees subsidised by the U.K. Tax payer.
    Just take a look at Scotland - the SNP controlled government up here are stupid enough to pay my fees at the expense of the money we receive, which pays for the elite class who can afford to pay and for people nearly 1000 miles away in Eastern Europe because they are part of the EU and have equal rights.

We're all laughing because it's great, but mad. And unequal.

And oh, if you are from the rest of the UK, they don't welcome you because they want you to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you're noticing this late and it's your own fault. So, what uni are you at and doing what degree?

ReputationRep:
    there are thousands of student and the fees are ridiculous, I don't think it's necessary to burden people with 20k fees (loan). it should be crime under scam...

I wonder how much will these music students paying 26k will earn after they graduate...

it's just ridiculous
    I'm confused. Since when was university mandatory? I wasn't aware that you're being forced to go and spend the money...

And you're aware that different courses cost different amounts to provide, yes? An engineering course with 35+ contact hours a week, with 10 different tutors, lab sessions using masses of material costs rather more to put on than an English course with 8 contact hours and a glorified library card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    Well, you're noticing this late and it's your own fault. So, what uni are you at and doing what degree?
    university of manchester, management (accounting finance)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I'm confused. Since when was university mandatory? I wasn't aware that you're being forced to go and spend the money...

And you're aware that different courses cost different amounts to provide, yes? An engineering course with 35+ contact hours a week, with 10 different tutors, lab sessions using masses of material costs rather more to put on than an English course with 8 contact hours and a glorified library card.
    it is mandatory, every high paying jobs need degree and foreign degree are much more desirable, i guess thats why my parents encouraged me to go here

but i'm smart anyway in terms of academic, I should've be alright even if I didn't choose to go here. i'm careless for not looking at tuition , but my parents are crazy... why...

ReputationRep:
    University is far too expensive, even for British citizens. I really do believe that more grants from the government should be handed out to hopeful students (and not burden them with crazy debts) as opposed to the waste of time drunk yobo chavs.

ReputationRep:
    it is mandatory, every high paying jobs need degree and foreign degree are much more desirable, i guess thats why my parents encouraged me to go here

but i'm smart anyway in terms of academic, I should've be alright even if I didn't choose to go here. i'm careless for not looking at tuition , but my parents are crazy... why...
    Also university housing isn't ridiculous priced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshstig)
    University is far too expensive, even for British citizens. I really do believe that more grants from the government should be handed out to hopeful students (and not burden them with crazy debts) as opposed to the waste of time drunk yobo chavs.
    i can't imagine how you guys pay your loan with low-paying degree like history, language and art-related

ReputationRep:
    i can't imagine how you guys pay your loan with low-paying degree like history, language and art-related
    It's a tax based system. We only pay if we earn over 21k and then only 9% and after 30years it is wiped off.
    So if I earn 22k I pay back £90 a year as I earn 1000 over the limit
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    International students have no cause to complain about high fees. If you don't like it, study somewhere else. Lots of places in Europe are cheaper than the UK, you should have done proper research.

ReputationRep:
    Easily

The amount you pay off monthly depends on how much you actually earn. If you are below a certain threshold then you're not paying anything at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.