Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it so great to be a tall guy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    You're confusing actual science with the simple collation of data. In studies and research done with something like this, all that can be done is to gather information on average measurements in relation to height. At best, there is some statistical data, even then different studies produce different results. There is absolutely no physiological science behind this.
    ...but...what constitutes a scientific understanding without an appeal to statistics and evidential studies...? are you saying there simply aren't enough studies and statistics for this? ...wait...so you have a solid number of studies in your head that would be sufficient...? or else, how do you know there aren't enough...?
    ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    ...but...what constitutes a scientific understanding without an appeal to statistics and evidential studies...? are you saying there simply aren't enough studies and statistics for this? ...wait...so you have a solid number of studies in your head that would be sufficient...? or else, how do you know there aren't enough...?
    ?
    It's a matter of causation vs correlation. Actual scientific evidence demonstrates some kind of causation, whereas if the findings and conclusion of a study are purely based on correlation then you have statistical evidence. If you were to ask someone "What's the science behind that, then?" and they were to say "Well, x number of guys' measurements were taken..." - that doesn't answer your question.

ReputationRep:
    It's a matter of causation vs correlation. Actual scientific evidence demonstrates some kind of causation, whereas if the findings and conclusion of a study are purely based on correlation then you have statistical evidence. If you were to ask someone "What's the science behind that, then?" and they were to say "Well, x number of guys' measurements were taken..." - that doesn't answer your question.
    yeah, I think all you're doing here is setting the bar impossibly high - if you have a huge amount of research all saying that there is no absolutely link between height and penis size, how is there going to be causation between those two variables? if I had 1000 people and there was no link between nose size and feet size, are you then still saying there's reason to doubt that there isn't causation to be found? how would we find causation in a practical sense then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    yeah, I think all you're doing here is setting the bar impossibly high - if you have a huge amount of research all saying that there is no absolutely link between height and penis size, how is there going to be causation between those two variables? if I had 1000 people and there was no link between nose size and feet size, are you then still saying there's reason to doubt that there isn't causation to be found? how would we find causation in a practical sense then?
    As I said initially, there are also studies that demonstrate that there is a link, but again that's not scientific evidence. It's purely correlation, which I've in no way said is useless in itself, but again, it's statistical evidence, not scientific. There is no causation to be found, therefore the evidence isn't scientific, that's always been my point.

Anyhoo mate, this has literally turned into a debate over terminology and has become a bit dead, I feel.

ReputationRep:
    As I said initially, there are also studies that demonstrate that there is a link, but again that's not scientific evidence. It's purely correlation, which I've in no way said is useless in itself, but again, it's statistical evidence, not scientific. .
    which ones? where?
    show me, I'd love to read them...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    my penis is over 8 inches long...
    that is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMan Ting)
    my penis is over 8 inches long...
    that is all.
    Is that 8X on the microscope? Why have you brought that into the conversation? Seems rather un needed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_Jon)
    Is that 8X on the microscope? Why have you brought that into the conversation? Seems rather un needed.
    On the subject of height, people think that height correlates to the length of the male anatomy. I want to put that to bed and quash rumours of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    Have fun trying to build any muscle LOOL

5'9/10 master race
    Do you even lift bro?

ReputationRep:
    You're confusing actual science with the simple collation of data. In studies and research done with something like this, all that can be done is to gather information on average measurements in relation to height. At best, there is some statistical data, even then different studies produce different results. There is absolutely no physiological science behind this.
    If the data is significant, would you refute it just because we have no explanation (yet)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    If the data is significant, would you refute it just because we have no explanation (yet)?
    Of course I wouldn't, but this discussion wasn't about that - I was just trying to get the guy to acknowledge that the collation of data =/= scientific proof, after he claimed that there's scientific proof.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I wouldn't, but this discussion wasn't about that - I was just trying to get the guy to acknowledge that the collation of data =/= scientific proof, after he claimed that there's scientific proof.
    I misunderstood then, apologies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.