Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it so Hard to Break Up? Watch

Breaking up is hard to do, as they say.

Even when you know you should break up, it can be incredibly difficult to take the plunge and do it.

I'm in a relationship that isn't working. Trying to work up the courage to tell him. It will hurt for both of us. I'm going through a stressful patch and a breakup won't help. Nevertheless, it must be done eventually.

Guess I'm looking for people who have been through it to tell me it will be OK on the other side. I'm scared to be alone. I'm scared I'll never find love again. I'm scared I can't be happy without him
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Breaking up is hard to do, as they say.

Even when you know you should break up, it can be incredibly difficult to take the plunge and do it.

I'm in a relationship that isn't working. Trying to work up the courage to tell him. It will hurt for both of us. I'm going through a stressful patch and a breakup won't help. Nevertheless, it must be done eventually.

Guess I'm looking for people who have been through it to tell me it will be OK on the other side. I'm scared to be alone. I'm scared I'll never find love again. I'm scared I can't be happy without him
    Breaking up is hard because you have to accept things aren't going well, but in most people's minds, there is denial despite the relationship not working so great. When you break up with someone, a lot of things change. The people who know you both, may decide to side with one person and you start to feel lonely, but in the end it is worth it, especially when you know how happy you will be. It can take a while to move on, a month, six months or even a year but at the end of it all, your happiness will be far greater than it is now.

Just tell him that things aren't working and you'd like to part ways.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.