Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Uni, although I've only done 1 year of a BTEC National diploma at a pass almost 10 years ago, which is worth nothing basically.

I've got 6 GCSE grade C (Which I know means nothing in Uni terms!)

I've done a level 2 and level 3 apprenticeship in retail (Not sure if the level 3 is retail management or retail knowledge) also I don't think this counts as anything UCAS wise.

The course I want to do is Biology leading to teaching, is the only way to do this to complete a 1 year access to HE certificate? 25 years old by the way, possible to enter as a mature student?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyByford)
    I want to go to Uni, although I've only done 1 year of a BTEC National diploma at a pass almost 10 years ago, which is worth nothing basically.

I've got 6 GCSE grade C (Which I know means nothing in Uni terms!)

I've done a level 2 and level 3 apprenticeship in retail (Not sure if the level 3 is retail management or retail knowledge) also I don't think this counts as anything UCAS wise.

The course I want to do is Biology leading to teaching, is the only way to do this to complete a 1 year access to HE certificate? 25 years old by the way, possible to enter as a mature student?

Thanks.
    Hi Andy,

I am 46 this year, and decided life in the fast lane working in the Capital is no longer for me. So, my situation was worse than yours with less qualifications. I have been to a local Learn Direct Centre, took the maths assessment, passed, moved on to the exam, passed that at GCSE level and all I have to do is take an MSAP (Mature Student Access Pathway) test in May, pass that and I am into Salford Uni on the accelerated Degree Quantity Surveying Course. I think you may just qualify as a mature student, it depends on the UNI. I would have thought as a mature student the 6 GCSE's you have would be enough for some Uni's? UCAS are brilliant and can support you here.

Good luck

Clarkey

ReputationRep:
    A mature student is anyone who applies to university over the age of 21... So yes, you are a mature student

Are you looking to go to uni this year? If so, you'll need to get your skates on! Applications have already closed, but they don't officially close until 30 June. So do your research, use the UCAS search tool to find what uni's do your course. Then give them a call and have a chat.

Granted, if you don't have A-Levels, they PROBABLY won't accept you on merit (but you never know) and the BTEC will count towards it (my knowledge on BTECs isn't that great, so it might be enough). Your best bet would be to do an Access course. But call the uni's first and see what they say, you might be able to get onto a foundation year first instead of an Access course.

I'm 27 and applied for uni this year. Anything is possible!

ReputationRep:
    I would start by looking on ucas and deciding which course and uni you like the look of. I would then call each of the universities that you are interested in and talk through your qualifications. The admissions team is a good start. They will then let you know whether to apply or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.