The Student Room Group

Mention Study Abroad in Personal Statement?

This is a little early, I know :smile:
I'm getting a head start on thinking about what I'll write in my personal statement when I apply to uni later this year.
I want to do a year's study abroad during my degree on the ERASMUS scheme or something similar, however my preferred degree (Geology) is not directly related to languages. Should I talk briefly about my intention to study abroad in the personal staement - will it help convince admissions that I'm serious about getting the most of the uni experience, or is it not relevant and better off being saved for my application to study abroad later in the course? Is it a waste of the word count?
Thanks to anyone who replies!
Hi,
It's great to see that you've planned on making a very early head-start on your personal statement. I'm assuming you are entering for a 2018 course start, with applications beginning in September 2017. There is a couple of points and advice I would give at this early stage:

- Don't set anything in stone when writing this early, you'll need to update it later in the year as your interests, skills and experiences change.
- Try to not waste your precious 4000 characters! Anything not relevant, ditch. (This is not a direct statement against your question above, there are exceptions).
- Research your courses in advance, and have a passion and knowledge for the subject. Understand what admissions teams are looking for. What makes you special? They see thousands of statements each year.

I actually started my searching and this kind of thing VERY early, like you. And yes it was early. I didn't need to, and lost focus until around September when I got back into things. I only re-started visiting uni's in October and this went through past my Sixth Form deadline in November, just so I could research everything. My application was done in December and I got offers through quickly, and interview dates. It doesn't always pay to be really early on things, but also don't leave them late either. So don't feel pressured to get going right now, but whatever suits.

I'd use my guide as linked below to decide if you think this is worthy putting into your statement, and you can plan where things need to go. I made this guide after I did my statement, and I wrote my PS in 45 minutes, and it didn't need improvements. I was incredibly proud. I have helped people at my sixth form by giving them this structure and guiding them through it. I have had all 5 Uni's give me great offers (1 UC), I've had others get unconditional offers too, and very good offers. Not to say this guide will get you them, but no one has had issues with following it yet. If you stick to it, you'll be able to manage your word count easier. Good Luck with your application! :smile:

Guide:
https://goo.gl/bXW8GM
Should you mention your intention to study abroad in your PS? If you apply for a Geology with year abroad / Geology (International) degree then absolutely talk about your desire to go abroad in your PS. If you apply for a normal Geology degree then I think it is still worth mentioning, but only a sentence or two. Don't mention specific countries unless you know all the universities you are applying to offer exchange programmes in that country.
Original post by KoalaKandy
Hi,
It's great to see that you've planned on making a very early head-start on your personal statement. I'm assuming you are entering for a 2018 course start, with applications beginning in September 2017. There is a couple of points and advice I would give at this early stage:

- Don't set anything in stone when writing this early, you'll need to update it later in the year as your interests, skills and experiences change.
- Try to not waste your precious 4000 characters! Anything not relevant, ditch. (This is not a direct statement against your question above, there are exceptions).
- Research your courses in advance, and have a passion and knowledge for the subject. Understand what admissions teams are looking for. What makes you special? They see thousands of statements each year.

I actually started my searching and this kind of thing VERY early, like you. And yes it was early. I didn't need to, and lost focus until around September when I got back into things. I only re-started visiting uni's in October and this went through past my Sixth Form deadline in November, just so I could research everything. My application was done in December and I got offers through quickly, and interview dates. It doesn't always pay to be really early on things, but also don't leave them late either. So don't feel pressured to get going right now, but whatever suits.

I'd use my guide as linked below to decide if you think this is worthy putting into your statement, and you can plan where things need to go. I made this guide after I did my statement, and I wrote my PS in 45 minutes, and it didn't need improvements. I was incredibly proud. I have helped people at my sixth form by giving them this structure and guiding them through it. I have had all 5 Uni's give me great offers (1 UC), I've had others get unconditional offers too, and very good offers. Not to say this guide will get you them, but no one has had issues with following it yet. If you stick to it, you'll be able to manage your word count easier. Good Luck with your application! :smile:

Guide:
https://goo.gl/bXW8GM

This is massively helpful, thanks. I'm one of those people who tends to want everything out of the way as early as possible, but I do get your point about coming back to it when I've done a little more. I'll definitely be keeping in mind those guidelines about what to include and what not to.

Quick Reply

Latest