Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lol just ignore the butthurt trolls. No need to reply to them.

Btw the lack of sunlight and vitamin D causes seasonal depression, so you can take vitamin D tablets and that might make you feel less depressed lol.

I think the lack of sunlight just makes everyone miserable. Everyone usually looks happy in the 2 weeks of Summer we get :rofl:
    You don't help your cause by classifying those you disagree with as 'butthurt trolls'. It's not terribly sophisticated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luukeee)
    But when you move from a country to another you're required to inform the Student Finance where you at. so you can continue to pay. And I do intend to do that, otherwise would be just take opportunity as you say, and also that's kind of stealing.
    I entirely agree with you about that. I would point out that the total cost of tuition is rather more than the amount you will be required to pay back, though, and the way that money would ordinarily be recouped is through general taxation once you'd graduated - we won't be getting that in your case because you will have returned to live in Portugal. But again, that's not your fault personally, and in your position I probably should have done exactly the same as you have. It's the system which is at fault really, not enterprising young people like you who have used it to your advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I'm sure you're a very nice person, and this is not some personal attack on you. It's registering my disapproval of the concept of coming over here to take advantage of our subsidised education system without any intention to pay back into the system which funded you - you yourself have confirmed that you're going 'back to Portugal'.It is this notion, that people come over to the UK solely to see what they can get out of it, which led in large part to Brexit - that's why I bring it up. I'm glad you think the country is great for education and opportunities - it is!

No hard feelings.
    But if he's paying the tuition required, what else does he owe? You could say the same thing about students from anywhere studying in a country they're not from, British students included, so I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Wow, and you just left uni? Where you live now?
    I'm back in Holland, which is equally depressing but because the weather is worse, taxes are higher and people are rude (don't mind that last part considering how sensitive everyone I knew in England was though )

ReputationRep:

Btw the lack of sunlight and vitamin D causes seasonal depression, so you can take vitamin D tablets and that might make you feel less depressed lol.

I think the lack of sunlight just makes everyone miserable. Everyone usually looks happy in the 2 weeks of Summer we get :rofl:
    I thought I would love the lack of sunlight after my whole life in a scalding sun. But I was wrong hahahaha god I was wrong. I miss to sun and the beaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    But if he's paying the tuition required, what else does he owe? You could say the same thing about students from anywhere studying in a country they're not from, British students included, so I don't see why it's such a big deal.
    See above for the answer, though I'd reiterate that it's not the students themselves I have a problem with at all, but the system that allows it to happen. I agree that British students can be just as bad in this regard, only we tend to be very much a net importer of students overall.

ReputationRep:
    You don't help your cause by classifying those you disagree with as 'butthurt trolls'. It's not terribly sophisticated.
    I'm not the OP lol. My 'cause' is answering his question.

He wants advice not a debate about brexit :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the OP lol. My 'cause' is answering his question.

He wants advice not a debate about brexit :rofl:
    We can agree on that - you're quite right.

ReputationRep:
    See above for the answer, though I'd reiterate that it's not the students themselves I have a problem with at all, but the system that allows it to happen. I agree that British students can be just as bad in this regard, only we tend to be very much a net importer of students overall.
    I read some bs about tax and recuperating costs or whatever. Most international students pay 2-3x in tuition and end up paying waaaay more for accommodation and living costs. You could say that in general they put more money into the UK than Home/EU students do. But who cares, it's done and it's now irrelevant. Cutting up my British passport as soon as I get my hands on a Dutch one 😂

ReputationRep:
    but (Brexit) will affect brits in Portugal that are working and living in there.
    What Brits living and working in Portugal?

ReputationRep:
    the lack of sunlight and vitamin D causes seasonal depression, so you can take vitamin D tablets and that might make you feel less depressed lol.

Lack of sunlight actually made me vitamin d deficient :shot: and its pretty common too. Take your vit d tablets!

ReputationRep:
    As an Englishman, I can say yes, the UK is possibly one of the most depressing places I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faloodeh)
    Lack of sunlight actually made me vitamin d deficient :shot: and its pretty common too. Take your vit d tablets!
    Good advice for me, also from ChickenMadness

ReputationRep:
    It's rather ungrateful for you to come to our country, take advantage of our people, and then sl*g the place off, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    I wouldn't call it depressing, but I am quite disappointed with how this country turned out to be. The weather isnt actually that bad, its quite warm in the winter and it doesn't rain as often as I thought it will. But British people are quite hard to get along with. They tend to have lots of friends to go out with but very few close friends. Everyone are always nice to me but it seems a bit fake, when something bad happens I don't think anyone would care about me despite asking me if im okay everyday.
    Where are you originally from if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Lol @ the butthurt 'patriots' getting all defensive about their country.

There's nothing inconsistent with saying that you don't like the miserable side of the UK, but deciding overall to live here because of the economic opportunities it has. The UK having a net positive impact on your education, job prospects, family standard of living or whatever doesn't mean that it's flawless.

(OP, it's less miserable in the South-East and rural areas - small towns, villages, etc)
    What's so funny is how Brits can talk BS about Britain all they want, but when a foreigner does it - nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    Where are you originally from if you don't mind me asking?
    Poland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    What Brits living and working in Portugal?
    Mostly retired brits living in Algarve, but some do work there, as I said before, my english teacher was from London. But not just Portugal, there's a lot of brits around Europe. By the way, what do you think about brits who study in Germany for free and then just leave to the UK again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    It's rather ungrateful for you to come to our country, take advantage of our people, and then sl*g the place off, don't you think?
    Please enlighten me how I am taking advantage of your people.

ReputationRep:
    I entirely agree with you about that. I would point out that the total cost of tuition is rather more than the amount you will be required to pay back, though, and the way that money would ordinarily be recouped is through general taxation once you'd graduated - we won't be getting that in your case because you will have returned to live in Portugal. But again, that's not your fault personally, and in your position I probably should have done exactly the same as you have. It's the system which is at fault really, not enterprising young people like you who have used it to your advantage.
    When I move abroad I need to contact student finance and tell them, then they will come up with an amount I need to pay each month, depending on the country I'm living and how much I earn. So, I'll still be paying the same way.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of salty Brits in here who can't take the truth.
    As a Brit, I understand that the UK can be gloomy and depressive to 'sunny' people, i.e. people from sunny countries, but to me the lack of sunlight makes it all mysterious and that's what I like about it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.