Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    iv) Pukka Pies

v) Lucy Worsley :coma:
    I'm going to say yes to both - Lucy Worsley grew on me (I originally decided she was a bit silly with all that dressing up). Radio 3 is a hidden treasure: one of the few things that hasn't been entirely ruined by being popularised and dumbed down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I'm going to say yes to both - Lucy Worsley grew on me (I originally decided she was a bit silly with all that dressing up). Radio 3 is a hidden treasure: one of the few things that hasn't been entirely ruined by being popularised and dumbed down.
    being fed a PP by LW whilst listening to Radio 3 in Cambridge & posting on TSR.... bliss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    being fed a PP by LW whilst listening to Radio 3 in Cambridge & posting on TSR.... bliss
    lol: being fed a pukka pie by Lucy Worsley sounds grossly and wonderfully perverted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    No I havent lol. I meant in the sense of bills and all the governmental compliance. In some countries you can literally own your own land and never hear from the government. Not having to stress about bills or tax or anything.
    Where is it that they do that? Cos I'm moving there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    lol: being fed a pukka pie by Lucy Worsley sounds grossly and wonderfully perverted.
    life has its upsides :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p034f2l5.jpg

"if you do not finish the pie i shall be very very cross...."

:jive:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    Where is it that they do that? Cos I'm moving there.
    Haha the quality of life isn't that much assured in those types of countries lol. I'm sure in some middle eastern countries like Yemen or even South Asian you could that. Maybe even South America?

ReputationRep:
    Haha the quality of life isn't that much assured in those types of countries lol. I'm sure in some middle eastern countries like Yemen or even South Asian you could that. Maybe even South America?
    Living in the Middle East myself, I seriously doubt it, haha! But I get what you mean.

All I'm saying is please be grateful for what you have in the UK. For all its flaws, good and free healthcare, education, police services, governmental services, human rights in general, are a blessing the vast majority of countries in the world don't have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    Living in the Middle East myself, I seriously doubt it, haha! But I get what you mean.

All I'm saying is please be grateful for what you have in the UK. For all its flaws, good and free healthcare, education, police services, governmental services, human rights in general, are a blessing the vast majority of countries in the world don't have.
    Don't get me wrong I realise this country is the best for standard of living but Im saying it's also more stressful here with houses/jobs etc. I went to Morocco for a week and after I came back I was nervous for another week when in crowded places trying to keep track of my belongings and stuff.

Do you live in Egypt?

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong I realise this country is the best for standard of living but Im saying it's also more stressful here with houses/jobs etc. I went to Morocco for a week and after I came back I was nervous for another week when in crowded places trying to keep track of my belongings and stuff.

Do you live in Egypt?
    Again, I seriously disagree Your average citizen here is bending over backwards just to get bills paid... As for jobs... Don't even get me started Average wage over here a month is what... 1000 LE? That's £100.. after the recent Egyptian pound devaluation £50. Whatever jobs pay over that are reserved for the upper class Elite... which make up like 3% of the country.

Indeed. Moved here a couple years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
    Hey there People are acting like idiots on here so please ignore anyone who is insulting you. I'm English but I lived abroad for a while and when I came back, aged 12, I hated England with a passion! Now after years of living here, I've finally gotten used to it but I think it can take a while, and that's ok. Best thing sometimes is to just try and be as happy as you can here, it's a great education opportunity and an opportunity to see another country while you're here. Often foreigners find that the lack of sun triggers depression when they come, so that may make part of what you are feeling right now. But I think it will get better and you have to give it time And if you don't want to stay, that is fine too. Find the place that makes you happy and where you can be the best person you could ever be.
    Thanks very much for your reply man. I don't hate England at all, I think it's a really beautiful place, I just don't think I'll get used to life here. I won't be leaving until I finish my degree, so, 2 and half years yet. I'll see then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Oh wow, I'm an optimist, but this thread is making me question my offers and my future university life in the UK. :rofl:

I hope it's not as bad as some of you are saying it is. :afraid:
    Don't be afraid hahaha, that's just the experience I'm having until now, yours might be different. I don't know, maybe it just takes time.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in the U.K and don't explore and take advantage of what it has to offer, you'll be depressed. Explore the culture, entertainment, nightlife, local economy, your local community and you'll love it! (Providing you chosen a decent area). But the UK can be depressing for the long hour workers, it's all about your lifestyle and I think the UK offers a vast range of possible healthy lifestyles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    If you live in the U.K and don't explore and take advantage of what it has to offer, you'll be depressed. Explore the culture, entertainment, nightlife, local economy, your local community and you'll love it! (Providing you chosen a decent area). But the UK can be depressing for the long hour workers, it's all about your lifestyle and I think the UK offers a vast range of possible healthy lifestyles.
    Yeah, I'll do it for sure. I've been looking to visit Cambridge. I'm staying in Leicestershire and I don't think it's too bad. My parents live in Lincolnshire, I really don't like much there.

ReputationRep:
    I have been here since I was 5 months old, moving from Portugal. studied and worked and still studying in my last year of uni. not going to lie but yes the UK help with allowing us to go to university (plus all the interest they add at the end) HOWEVER they do not really help when it comes to finding jobs, a lot of my BRITISH friends have applied and been accepted for job offers abroad as a result of being declined numerous of times here in the UK. I however am continuing my studies (masters) and am looking to do so abroad as its hella cheap. The UK only introduced tuition fees for post-graduate studies summer 2016 so had I finished university last year I would have had to either cough up £8000 or borrow from the bank and if you know your stuff the interest rate would have been sky high.
    Although I have never lived in Portugal, I go back every year and can honestly lifestyle and the happy atmosphere is so much better. I have done my fair share of travelling and can say and confirm that the UK is a dull, boring and as for the work like balance? 0%.

I cant speak for everyone, this is my experience and my families too.

ReputationRep:
    UK is very depressing. Life in Dubai is much better.

UK is mostly depressing due to **** weather which has impact on people's attitude and outlook on life.

Just imagine how great the UK would be if it had great weather all year around. It would be the place to be!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeCroissant)
    I personally think that the large cities are quite depressing. Smaller towns and villages are nice though
    Sheffield and Barnsley are not depressing.

ReputationRep:
    I think British people are more autistic/aspergers - like.

I think this explains it.

ReputationRep:
    Because being 'hood' and 'gangster' is perceived as cool. Our council estate kids aren't nearly as disadvantaged as their American cousins so they feel a need to copy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    I wouldn't call it depressing, but I am quite disappointed with how this country turned out to be. The weather isnt actually that bad, its quite warm in the winter and it doesn't rain as often as I thought it will.
    Hahaha oh man that's a good one!!!! 'Warm in the winter' - classic :'''')

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.