Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The UK is terribly depressing...

ReputationRep:
    The weather......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    The weather......
    But then you hear of so many people going to the Gold Coast or California or some such and after a period of months complaining that they really miss the weather - what was originally amazing - day after day of 30°C and bright sun starts to just get too samey...!

ReputationRep:
    It really is,unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    But then you hear of so many people going to the Gold Coast or California or some such and after a period of months complaining that they really miss the weather - what was originally amazing - day after day of 30°C and bright sun starts to just get too samey...!
    lived in Sunshine Coast (name says it all) in AUS for 4 years can confirm you dont get miss the weather, its doesnt get samey at all and sun beats rain every time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeCroissant)
    I personally think that the large cities are quite depressing. Smaller towns and villages are nice though
    live in a small town myself , can confirm its equally depressing, I always thought large cities would be more exciting? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    The key is to have a varying climate. In UK, it's always the same thing every day.

ReputationRep:
    Depends really. A life full of work with terrible weather for 90% of the time and limited things to do is a general recipe for not great. Of course there are plenty of great things about the UK thats mostly to do with us being a prosperous liberal 1st world democracy

And i am a person that loves the rain, i also love the sun and the outdoorsy things that rely on some sun and warmth

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is a bit depressing, but super "happy" countries can wear out even the most friendly of extroverts. Everyone here likes a good chit-chat, especially since I look vaguely foreign but speak fluent Indonesian, so I get asked the same questions over and over again.

There are some stark contrasts between the UK and Indonesia, it feels like they're complete opposites sometimes, but I think that's opened me up to new opinions and points of views.

ReputationRep:
    Its just white Britain that has had all the vibrancy, the culture and aspiration drained from it. The institution of marriage has been decimated, our universities are catered towards the chinese elite, homosexuality/alcoholism/single motherhood/debt are actively promoted. Cultural marxism is absolutely endemic, there seems to be this cultural race to the bottom whereby white british people think up ever increasing ways of using the benefit system to subsidise their immorality.

Re-instate traditional culture/gender roles and things will improve quickly (Spanish society is still really health despite 5 years of the crisis).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah London is depressing during the day, especially during rush hour. But I think London is beautiful after dark, especially in summertime. It has the whole 24 hour city vibe. Also there are trendier, gentrified areas that are more lively and friendlier than other areas.

ReputationRep:
    It is, if you live in Southall or Harlesden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    It is, if you live in Southall or Harlesden.
    What about Bradford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gursimran)
    What about Bradford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know, I've never been there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Hahaha oh man that's a good one!!!! 'Warm in the winter' - classic :''''
    He must be from Russia or something Hahahahha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviana12)
    I have been here since I was 5 months old, moving from Portugal. studied and worked and still studying in my last year of uni. not going to lie but yes the UK help with allowing us to go to university (plus all the interest they add at the end) HOWEVER they do not really help when it comes to finding jobs, a lot of my BRITISH friends have applied and been accepted for job offers abroad as a result of being declined numerous of times here in the UK. I however am continuing my studies (masters) and am looking to do so abroad as its hella cheap. The UK only introduced tuition fees for post-graduate studies summer 2016 so had I finished university last year I would have had to either cough up £8000 or borrow from the bank and if you know your stuff the interest rate would have been sky high.
    Although I have never lived in Portugal, I go back every year and can honestly lifestyle and the happy atmosphere is so much better. I have done my fair share of travelling and can say and confirm that the UK is a dull, boring and as for the work like balance? 0%.

I cant speak for everyone, this is my experience and my families too.
    Yeah, I've noticed the work life balance is not really that great but I guess that's almost anywhere nowadays, where are you thinking in doing your masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luukeee)
    Yeah, I've noticed the work life balance is not really that great but I guess that's almost anywhere nowadays, where are you thinking in doing your masters?
    I don't know, the lifestyle out here is getting my expensive and we aren't earning enough for it, as a result having work extra hours for it.

I'm thinking of the Netherlands or France

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviana12)
    I don't know, the lifestyle out here is getting my expensive and we aren't earning enough for it, as a result having work extra hours for it.

I'm thinking of the Netherlands or France
    Yeah, as far as I could see life here is expensive, especially if you live south. But life in France isn't cheap either. Paris has the largest Portuguese community outside Portugal and I know some people living there, my dad even worked there for a little while. But I think I'd enjoy to live there.. although my french is awful and I don't know much. I was thinking about going to Spain, because I'd like to improve my Spanish/Portuñol hahaha but only if I could get a job there, seeing that Spain is also in bad shape.

ReputationRep:
    I don't the uk sucks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We are quite a pessimistic lot. Takes some getting used to (or not, I guess). But the difference I have noticed with second or third-rate countries is that even though they are more happy and sociable, they are also very deprived, have no respect for time (seriously, none at all - their timing is a joke), hard work and effort, and just generally nothing gets done and you know that nothing will ever improve due to the huge amount of corruption in government etc. (okay, I'm just referring to Pakistan here sorry!). The people that say Pakistan will improve in a few years make me laugh lol - they claim that every decade. /rant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.