Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the UK a depressing place? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's very depressing. I can see it and feel it everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I think it can be depressing for someone who's used to living an active lifestyle (There's hardly anything to do here) but for someone like me who enjoys beautiful countryside and some peace and quiet here and there, I think some parts of the UK can be pretty uplifting! There's nothing better than finding a nice shaded area in your local forest to just sit there and read a good book

ReputationRep:
    City areas look grim. London is terrible imo asthetic wise... yeah you have ''nice'' old buildings in certain areas but look a bit to the left and you have tower blocks and big grey buildings (thanks to ww2 I think). The women here are very cold. If you say hi they will give you the dirtiest look or just ignore you. It doesn't matter how you say it to them.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean the people as well as the weather? Maybe British people can moan and whinge and be miserable compared to other nationalities.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the uk has decent material stuff, fashion, music etc.. but the atmosphere is depressing because people are very race centred for one. one of the most multicultural countries in europe but the english and ethnic minorities don't mix much and this brings tension and hostility to the atmosphere. i am british indian but i never felt 'british' cause the way i been treated mainly by white english folk throughout life. i seen massive difference especially in switzerland and canada where even as a visitor i felt accepted by the citizens of that country. greeted well, people say hi and are willing to engage in conversation. brits are quite aggressive and the working and middle classes which i come across more talk little about things of importance or interest to myself. they tend to boast about how much they drank last night or how long they spent in prison. and thats it, pretty much lol. i met two only two white english women here throughout my life that showed interesrt in my cultural background. thats pretty sad.

ReputationRep:
    The people depress me. They are poor, depressed, lower class and want handouts and drink too much.

The actually country is inspiring, incredible and unique.

ReputationRep:
    At least this country is led by an out-of-touch elite rather than a Wotsit in a suit who seems determined to go to war with everyone on the planet.

I would rather live here than America.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of uncertainty in the UK with leaving the EU, increased terrorist activity etc. I think that is reflective of the mood of the country. Over the last 7 months, we've seen three terrorist attacks in Manchester and two in London. So, the mood of the nation is perhaps not as happy as it has previously been.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.