Turn on thread page Beta

Taking GCSE Computing outside of school? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I would like to take GCSE Computing outside of school, because my school won't let me take enough GCSE's to do it and computing is a really important skill to have. I am going to ask my school about it, but I don't know anything yet. How much would it cost? (My parents are prepared to pay). How does the GCSE work? (It's OCR) Is there any coursework and would my school mark that? Basically I just need to know anything and everything.


    I'm doing the same thing; my school didn't offer it to me so I asked them if I could self-study for it.

    With regards to cost, I'm not too sure, because my school offered to pay for me.

    But the coursework (if you're going to be sitting the exam this year) is 2 (relatively short) tasks and then there's the test. You can see the specification here http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/72936-specification.pdf

    The coursework (as I understand it) is marked by a teacher at your school, and then moderated by external assessors, but you should confirm this with your school.

    If you are currently in year ten and are going to be sitting the exam next year, you need to do Computer Science - You can find the specification here http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...276-from-2016/
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.