Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which university should I choose? Please help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I feel like a lot of people are going to judge me for this question because I know that I sound ungrateful and very childish, but here it goes: So basically I've always wanted to study medicine, and I worked very hard in school to get my grades. I got into the school I wanted, which was very hard and I felt so proud of myself..but now that I'm here I kinda hate it. Don't get me wrong, I love the course. But I don't fit in with the people, I often have the feeling that I'm in a crowded room with a lot of people but I feel so lonely. It's only been around 6 months but I dont feel like it's going to get better...I get so depressed thinking about being here for 6 years. I'm homesick, miss my family, and my friends. I've lately seriously been considering changing university to Poland or Hungary because all of my friends are there (it's crazy, but that how I feel) I just want to be around familiar people, and somewhere I feel like I fit in. Everyone here is super posh and I'm starting to feel very ill. I'm not from the UK, but from Scandinavia, should I leave UK and the Uni of my "dreams" to go to Poland or Hungary just because of my friends? Is the prestige of a university very important when you want to apply for a job? I just feel so unhappy..even tho I know I worked very hard for this. Also it's very expensive with fees and living in the UK, even tho I get loans and grants. East- europe would probably be a lot more cheaper as well
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Prestige is not at all important in medicine, as long as the degree is recognised in the country you want to work in, nobody will care about the name of the university.

I see nothing wrong with you applying to East European med schools whilst finishing the first year of your current degree (maybe you could transfer into the second year of med school in Poland/Hungary? Why not ask?) - but I think you should speak to someone at your university about how you're feeling, try and get some help and support before you make a final decision.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't worry about prestige, no. As far as I'm aware people really don't care as long as you're a qualified doctor. In some situations your prospective employers can't even see which uni you attended.

I think it's worth thinking about whether going to a different med school would solve the problem though. No matter where you go you'll always find people who you fit in with and people who you don't. Maybe you'd find friends at your current med school if you looked for them? Have you tried joining different societies and eg going out/revising/whatever with the rest of your year? I understand that it's compelling to go where your friends are and I don't know what your situation is but if you, say, have a couple of friends in some med school then I don't know how much that would help since they're probably in different years and have their own friends and you'd end up spending the majority of your time with your own year anyway. However, if you simply feel more at home in those countries and find it easier to connect with the people there then I guess it might be better to apply. 6 years is a long time and you don't want to spend so long especially in your early 20s hating your life. I think you should definitely try talking about this to someone at your med school and make an effort to find people who you fit in with before making any decisions though. I know a lot of people who struggled with adjusting to uni but many of them still ended up loving it.

ReputationRep:
    I also wonder whether changing uni will solve all these problems.

Statements like "everyone here is super posh" are fairly telling. It sounds like you haven't settled in very well and haven't made that many friends. That's the thing we should change. Not everyone is posh i assure you.

Joined many societies?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much guys..I've tried and don't get me wrong..I'm not alone all the time. I have managed to make some friends, but they are still not really my type of people, even tho they are very nice. I used to be so confident, social, and independent and now i kinda feel like all of that is gone. You guys are right when you say that will changing uni solve everything? I might have to do some self-reflection and think about my decisions. I just wished I didn't try that hard to get in, because that would make my transfer feel a lot easier. Also do you guys know if I can change after second year, or if I'll even get in? Because I don't know basic Polish and I don't want to start from year 1..I suppose I could learn because I'm good with languages...anyhow I'm going to stay and see if I feel better..I just hope I'm one of those people who started out hating uni but ended up loving it. Leaving this uni would probably also disappoint my family, because they were also so proud when I got in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merfff)
    Thank you so much guys..I've tried and don't get me wrong..I'm not alone all the time. I have managed to make some friends, but they are still not really my type of people, even tho they are very nice. I used to be so confident, social, and independent and now i kinda feel like all of that is gone. You guys are right when you say that will changing uni solve everything? I might have to do some self-reflection and think about my decisions. I just wished I didn't try that hard to get in, because that would make my transfer feel a lot easier. Also do you guys know if I can change after second year, or if I'll even get in? Because I don't know basic Polish and I don't want to start from year 1..I suppose I could learn because I'm good with languages...anyhow I'm going to stay and see if I feel better..I just hope I'm one of those people who started out hating uni but ended up loving it. Leaving this uni would probably also disappoint my family, because they were also so proud when I got in.
    Ah I see. I'm glad to hear you have some friends there. My advice is to do your best to get involved and get to know new people before summer. Join societies, make a point of chatting to new people and go along when people are doing something fun.

Unfortunately it's often really hard (at least for me) to find others who are "your type of people". I guess that's just life. Imo it's best to try and cherish your friends even if they can't give you the things you'd ideally want out of a friendship. For example, two of my dearest friends are totally different and I love them both even though I'd go crazy if I only spent time with either. One of them is so much fun and with her we mostly go out clubbing or whatever, while the other is so caring and intelligent and with her we mostly go on long walks and have deep convos. I guess that the point I'm trying to make is that it's ok to have different relationships with different people and get different things out of them. Even if you can't find your type of people (I'm sure they're out there if you look for them though) you can build a circle of friends who collectively are. Hope that makes some sense lol.

If you still feel like going to Poland later you should email the unis and ask whether it's possible to transfer and whether the language thing would be a problem. And try not to worry about what your family would think. You're an adult, it's your life and you should be the one who chooses what you want to do with it. Besides, I'm sure they are really proud to have a kid in med school anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your encouraging words! It really helps, and maybe I need to be around people who are very different than me, and perhaps it would help me grow more as a person. Could also be that what i'm feeling right now is a mix of everything. My university actually does exchange to Poland and Hungary after second year, so I might give that a try and see how I feel. I have a lot to be thankful for so I'm going to try looking at the bright side while I'm still here :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merfff)
    Thank you for your encouraging words! It really helps, and maybe I need to be around people who are very different than me, and perhaps it would help me grow more as a person. Could also be that what i'm feeling right now is a mix of everything. My university actually does exchange to Poland and Hungary after second year, so I might give that a try and see how I feel. I have a lot to be thankful for so I'm going to try looking at the bright side while I'm still here :-)
    No problem! Yeah that sounds like a good plan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.