Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to improve your self-esteem Watch

Announcements

I'm obviously someone who has very low self-esteem and it's impacting my life very badly. Everyone including girls could sense it a mile off and apparently girls don't go for guys who aren't confident. My low self-esteem was caused getting picked on through out my teenage years and people in general constantly trying to put me down. I don't go college anymore because of it and I don't work either. The only time I leave the house is when I'm going the gym, the cinema, or driving with the family to other cities where my mum does her marathon runs.

I never had a girlfriend before (I'm 22 btw) and I'm shy talking to girls for fear if I went up to a girl to start a conversation she'd be like "don't talk to me, go away and leave me alone". Family and friends sometimes tell my the reason why I don't have a girlfriend isn't to do with my looks, it's to do with me not being confidence. I don't know what to believe.

I'm kind and insecure about my looks but I'm even more insecure with my voice since it's not deep, I stutter and have a slight lisp. I often come across angry and bitter a lot of time because what I went through but there's good in me sometimes you just need someone help you to find it just like love. I'm very off with my relatives and friends since all my friends are in relationships and go to uni or work full time.

I'm just wondering if there is a cure to low self-esteem? What could I do to build my confidence? How to find the right person? Will I ever meet the right person? I don't want to be the loser who feels sorry for himself all the time. I don't want my lack of of confidence to ruin my life anymore because for years now it's been holding me back doing things what I want to do and being what I want to be.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is a double edged sword really, it has benefits but an equal amount of drawbacks. It sounds like you're playing it safe. I don't think there's a problem with your situation because there are things which a girl values more than confidence (real intelligence, kindness, loyalty) if only she can discover it. So I think you just need to reassess yourself and figure out what your assets are, then you can remind yourself of these constantly and hopefully that'll instil some confidence in you.

That's my 2 cents, however probably better not to listen to me as I haven't had a girlfriend in years. (when I had one my ego reached critical mass)

ReputationRep:
    Therapy my friend. Despite how much you think you know about yourself, you know very little. Find a good therapist and start from there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.