Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving into new flat halfway through first year: help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So there were some problems with my contract at one accommodation (catered halls which were SUPER quiet and I didn't like them anyway), and I'm being switched to a self catered flat next week. I'm honestly just really afraid that I'd be completely left out in the flat since everyone knew each other since Fresher's and I'm the new kid, technically.

I'm quite social, I'm planning to leave my door open and go into the kitchen a lot, I've got interesting posters, am international but I had a complete British education so I socialize more with home students anyway etc etc, but I'm just worried about the 'intruder' factor. Like no matter what I do they'd exclude me since I'm the outsider and they'd think it odd if I butt in on their stuff. I'm honestly kind of terrified of that because I'm quite talkative and like going out so it would really be a bummer if my flat excludes me. A friend of mine in the flat opposite talked to them and they said they're super excited and are cleaning the kitchen for my viewing so maybe I'm being irrationally nervous, but I still am!

Have any of you been in this situation (as the new flatmate OR as someone in a flat accepting another flatmate late) and do you have any tips on how I could make myself at home in the flat and go along with them? Help!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you don't have anything to worry about if you have a 'link' to their flat and they have said positive things about you coming - just make an effort to be friendly and let them know 'my last flat was soooo quiet so definitely tell me if you're going out and I'll tag along' - or skip that stage entirely and say 'it'd be great to get to know you all, let's go to X club tonight'

I'm gonna move into a new flat soon as well! I didn't worry that much because the flat I'm gonna move in is quite a small flat(sharing with 2 people). I don't like my current flatmates anyway so it's a good opportunity for me to meet new people and start over. I think you don't have to worry about that since they are excited for a new flatmate and you are sociable And will you let your current flatmates know when you move out? I'm thinking of telling them or now because I'm not really close to them and they probably dislike me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.