Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling all music fans/musicians Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have set up a label aimed at raising funds for SANE (the mental health charity) and Shelter (the homelessness charity)

The bandcamp is here:

https://loudandclearproject.bandcamp.com

The Twitter is here:

https://twitter.com/loudclearprj

1st official release by myself, indaya, but looking for submissions from any source (as long as it's electronically produced).

Follow, share, buy, support. All for two great causes.

Thanks guys
    D

ReputationRep:
    good luck man!

(Original post by Danny the Geezer)
      I have set up a label aimed at raising funds for SANE (the mental health charity) and Shelter (the homelessness charity)

The bandcamp is here:

The Twitter is here:

1st official release by myself, indaya, but looking for submissions from any source (as long as it's electronically produced).

Thanks guys
      D
      Define.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      Define.
      Well I guess anything that is primarily produced with software/electronic hardware.

Well I guess anything that is primarily produced with software/electronic hardware.
        Ohhh, non-skilled music.

I'm out. I make music using old-fashioned things called "instruments."

ReputationRep:
        Ohhh, non-skilled music.

********. Some could even argue it's harder to make music in software as acoustically you already have the pre-determined notes of your tune; in software you have to provide a whole caboodle of things, atmosphere, bass, rhythm, etc, playing guitar or keyboard is so passe now.

ReputationRep:
        Ohhh, non-skilled music.

Totally ignorant post tbh mate. Making music on software isn't just something any old idiot can do. In fact, I'd say it takes a lot more skill than being able to play an instrument because with an instrument, you're literally dedicating yourself to one craft by doing so. Producing a quality digital track takes a lot of technical knowledge, knowing the workings of synthesizers and tuning and adding effects to patches to get a specific sound; being aware of keys and chords; knowing how to use effects to make sure everything sits right together; and generally having an ear for the geeky side of music in general.

If you play a guitar, you've just got to concentrate on playing your guitar and that's your job done. Just knowing your guitar. Other people take care of all the other stuff. Whereas if you're producing a digital track, you're in charge of EVERYTHING. You've gotta make sure your drums are tuned correctly for the track with the right amount of reverb for your track as a whole and make sure the different drums you've picked aren't "clashing" with other frequencies in your track, choose all the right sounds that gel together so it doesn't sound a mess, make sure your dynamics aren't all screwed... basically, once you've recorded your track as a band or whatever the stems get passed on to the mixing engineer because in many cases the band members wouldn't know WTF to do to get the best out of them - if you're producing your own music digitally, that's your job too.

So yeah, a lot of labour, creativity and fine tuning go into making a digital track, and to be a good producer requires you to sit for just as many hours and learn your craft as it would to become a proficient guitar player or piano player. In fact, being a proficient piano player will help you when it comes to making digital music, since the riffs have to come from somewhere

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by WoodyMKC)
        Totally ignorant post tbh mate. Making music on software isn't just something any old idiot can do. In fact, I'd say it takes a lot more skill than being able to play an instrument because with an instrument, you're literally dedicating yourself to one craft by doing so. Producing a quality digital track takes a lot of technical knowledge, knowing the workings of synthesizers and tuning and adding effects to patches to get a specific sound; being aware of keys and chords; knowing how to use effects to make sure everything sits right together; and generally having an ear for the geeky side of music in general.

If you play a guitar, you've just got to concentrate on playing your guitar and that's your job done. Just knowing your guitar. Other people take care of all the other stuff. Whereas if you're producing a digital track, you're in charge of EVERYTHING. You've gotta make sure your drums are tuned correctly for the track with the right amount of reverb for your track as a whole and make sure the different drums you've picked aren't "clashing" with other frequencies in your track, choose all the right sounds that gel together so it doesn't sound a mess, make sure your dynamics aren't all screwed... basically, once you've recorded your track as a band or whatever the stems get passed on to the mixing engineer because in many cases the band members wouldn't know WTF to do to get the best out of them - if you're producing your own music digitally, that's your job too.

So yeah, a lot of labour, creativity and fine tuning go into making a digital track, and to be a good producer requires you to sit for just as many hours and learn your craft as it would to become a proficient guitar player or piano player. In fact, being a proficient piano player will help you when it comes to making digital music, since the riffs have to come from somewhere
        Basically.
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

The bandcamp is here:

The Twitter is here:

Thanks guys
        D
        I'm not knocking you for supporting good causes, but why call "all" musicians when you only want a very narrow selection of musicians? I mean, it's totally OK if you just want dubstep producers or whatever - just advertise it as such first, yeah? "Electronically produced" is really diverse, too. It's like me saying I want to play "guitar music" and getting someone wanting to play The Beatles covers, but really I just want to play Grindcore. Kraftwerk are nothing like 1200 micrograms, for example.

(I thought your track "Geisha" was pretty chilled, by the way)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Manitude)
        I'm not knocking you for supporting good causes, but why call "all" musicians when you only want a very narrow selection of musicians? I mean, it's totally OK if you just want dubstep producers or whatever - just advertise it as such first, yeah? "Electronically produced" is really diverse, too. It's like me saying I want to play "guitar music" and getting someone wanting to play The Beatles covers, but really I just want to play Grindcore. Kraftwerk are nothing like 1200 micrograms, for example.

(I thought your track "Geisha" was pretty chilled, by the way)
        I would be open to new methods of music production but for now, primarily it'll be elelectronically produced music (if you want to do a drum beat in Ableton and then play guitar via an amp or whatever then go ahead, but, tryna keep it organic yknow?

Thanks btw

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.