The Student Room Group

Why does my uncle always try to embarrass me?

Whenever we have a family get together, or if my uncle stops by my house for a bit and the whole family is sitting together, he will always try to embarrass me in front of everyone.

I'm 21 now and I was a tomboy when I was a child and used to wear football shirts and stuff as I grew up with 3 brothers and my parents never bought me different clothes or toys to them, so he brings this up all the time like "oh *my name* always wore football clothes and acted like a boy" "I have videos of her" "I'll show you the videos sometime" he has said this so many times now, and say's it like my family don't already know this and weren't there to raise me? lol.

Also when my sister in law was new he said it to her and he just always does this at family gatherings and brings it into totally unrelated convo and tries to make me feel uncomfortable.

Now I literally just laugh it off with confidence because I'm so over it and I'm so comfortable with myself and his attempts at embarrassing me don't work now.

Oh and when I graduated and he was at my house a few weeks after, my mum told him I did v well he didn't congratulate me or anything, he just laughed and said "see" to his daughter, then he changed convo and dismissed my achievement.

Why is he like this? What is his problem?
vitamin d
Original post by Anonymous

Now I literally just laugh it off with confidence because I'm so over it and I'm so comfortable with myself and his attempts at embarrassing me don't work now.

Revealed as a university graduate, you have begun a discussion in the early hours of the morning to explain your being "so over" the fact that your uncle twits you about your wearing football jerseys as a child...

Uncles are supposed to do this kind of thing. It's in the job description.
Reply 3
Original post by cambio wechsel
Revealed as a university graduate, you have begun a discussion in the early hours of the morning to explain your being "so over" the fact that your uncle twits you about your wearing football jerseys as a child...

Uncles are supposed to do this kind of thing. It's in the job description.

I'm over the feeling of embarrassment when he brings up my past in front of everyone, that doesn't mean I don't wonder why he does it all the time. The clothes comment is just one example of what's said.

If that's the case, why am I the only person he targets? I have 3 siblings and a lot of cousins, yet I'm the only one who's ever gets called out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending