Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am in a situation at university where I have done poorly in a mid-term test where I got 29%. If I have done poorly in the 75% exam and have to retake the exam, due to retakes being capped at 40% I would get an overall result of just under 40% in the module.
    Does anyone know if this means I will fail the year or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fitch31)
    Hi,

I am in a situation at university where I have done poorly in a mid-term test where I got 29%. If I have done poorly in the 75% exam and have to retake the exam, due to retakes being capped at 40% I would get an overall result of just under 40% in the module.
    Does anyone know if this means I will fail the year or not?
    If you resit the exam and pass, your grade will be capped at 40%. You will be awarded the credits and pass the year, with a score of 40% in that module.

I was under the impression that you could drop a certain number of credits and still receive an honours degree. So some people may choose to drop a module from their results completely to increase their overall grade. However, a quick Google search suggested you need 360 credits for an honours degree so I'm probably wrong about this.

However, given that its your first year, it would be no benefit to drop the credits if you are able to pass the module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    If you resit the exam and pass, your grade will be capped at 40%. You will be awarded the credits and pass the year, with a score of 40% in that module.

I was under the impression that you could drop a certain number of credits and still receive an honours degree. So some people may choose to drop a module from their results completely to increase their overall grade. However, a quick Google search suggested you need 360 credits for an honours degree so I'm probably wrong about this.

However, given that its your first year, it would be no benefit to drop the credits if you are able to pass the module.
    Depends on the uni- some let you drop your worst modules, mine didn't though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.