The Student Room Group

American Undergraduate Applying to UK Medical Schools

Hello,
I'm a current third year pursuing a Bsc applied physiology and kinesiology. I'd like to go to medical school in the UK and ultimately work for the NHS as an A&E doctor. My GPA right now is a 3.27 with strong upward trending and it looks like I'll graduate with a 3.3something and high honors. I work in a diabetes research lab in the college of medicine at my school, mentor diabetic kids in low income households, work as an EMT in a poor, rural county, and do volunteer EMS on campus. I messed up as a freshman and have C's in general chemistry one and two as well as organic chemistry one but other than that it's all A's and B's.
I've poked around on a few UK med school's websites and think I'm qualified to apply once I take my UKCAT this summer but I'm worried that my lower grades in gen chem will take me out of the running a lot of places. I'd love any input on my chances, which schools might be favorable for someone in my position, and any links to statistics on previous matriculating classes for UK medical schools.
Thanks,
-A
Not many Americans apply to UK med schools. As in, I'm not sure I've ever met one - you guys tend to go to the Caribbean, understandably :wink: Hence the things you're asking about - stats and experience etc - aren't going to be that forthcoming.

I'd suggest contacting individual medical schools with what you've said above and see if they identify any points that would rule you out/could be improved.

Regardless you will, of course, be classed as international which makes a competitive degree even more so, plus be liable for international fees without much hope of any scholarships (they aren't commonly offered in the UK).
I've known 2 US medical students at my medical school, so it can be done. Have no clue about their GPAs etc though - apologies.
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Not many Americans apply to UK med schools. As in, I'm not sure I've ever met one - you guys tend to go to the Caribbean, understandably :wink: Hence the things you're asking about - stats and experience etc - aren't going to be that forthcoming.

I'd suggest contacting individual medical schools with what you've said above and see if they identify any points that would rule you out/could be improved.

Regardless you will, of course, be classed as international which makes a competitive degree even more so, plus be liable for international fees without much hope of any scholarships (they aren't commonly offered in the UK).

Thanks! I'll start emailing people.
Reply 4
Original post by notespad
I've known 2 US medical students at my medical school, so it can be done. Have no clue about their GPAs etc though - apologies.

If you don't mind me asking, what school are you in?

Latest

Trending

Trending