Somethingrandom1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  IMG_20170122_101527.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  489.7 KB
Can anyone explain this question. Answer is 15. Not sure what the question is asking.
atsruser
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When you walk all the way round the exterior of a polygon, pointing your arm out in front of you, you will see that your arm turns through 360 degrees. It only turns through an angle when you get to a vertex, a point where two sides meet.

If the polygon has 8 equal external sides, then it also has 8 equal external angles (i.e. the angles made between each of the external sides). So if the size of the external angle is a, then we must have 8a=360 from which we can find a.

In your case, you can find the external angle for the shape by geometry, but you need to find the number of sides n, say. Can you finish this? You need to write down an equation similar to the one I gave above, then solve it.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you need to find the acute angles in the trapezia. then find the internal angle of the big polygon.... then the external angle.... then the number of sides.
Somethingrandom1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So the tiles continue to form a full circle? I understand now I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed