Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do physics at Loughborough....
    I'm a girl
    I've been to a girls school and only ever surrounded by girls
    Imagine the women to men ratio in my course.....I'm actually kind of terrified. I heard some UNIs have like 10/100 girls for physics and lobro already has a low female:male ratio, I don't want to be the only girl there!
    Don't tell me to firm something else, I don't like my other choices
    Any consolation....

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you can take a gap year and reapply; do something productive and exciting to interest other universities ranked higher with a higher female:male ratio?

Or you can change your course at Loughborough to something else related to Physics. Find out in the departments registry for information regarding transfers.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as bad as you're saying there will be loads of girls and generally it's not all the same people, you have different modules with different departments so there will be a variety of people. And it certainly won't be as low as 10 females to 100 males, more like 35 females to 100 males.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a great opportunity to get to know some guys. You'll have to at some point.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paisley99)
    I'm a girl
    Imagine the women to men ratio in my course.....I'm actually kind of terrified. I heard some UNIs have like 10/100 girls for physics and lobro already has a low female:male ratio, I don't want to be the only girl there!
    Any consolation....
    Hi Paisley99

You won't be the only girl. I certainly wouldn't be terrified about it and as a previous poster said - you'll be mixed with all sorts of different people on different modules, so it really isn't something to worry about. We have lots of female scientists and engineers here.

It's up to you what you decide to do, but if Physics is where your heart is, I wouldn't choose a different course just because of the male:female ratio as it's going to be pretty much the same at any other uni. You're making a large financial commitment - it needs to be in something you want to do and will take your career where you want it to be.

I can try to put you in touch with a female physics student here if you want to so you can get first hand what it's actually like.
    If you do, PM me your name, e-mail address and telephone number and I can get someone to get in touch.

Hope this helps
    Vicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stoke123)
    Perhaps you can take a gap year and reapply; do something productive and exciting to interest other universities ranked higher with a higher female:male ratio?

Or you can change your course at Loughborough to something else related to Physics. Find out in the departments registry for information regarding transfers.
    No bloody way!
    No gap year
    Definitely doing physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nulliverse)
    It's not as bad as you're saying there will be loads of girls and generally it's not all the same people, you have different modules with different departments so there will be a variety of people. And it certainly won't be as low as 10 females to 100 males, more like 35 females to 100 males.
    Oh it is.....I asked....15%

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it's scary but there's not point changing your university because of something so small...it won't be a problem, just make friends with some guys, there will also be girls who are probably in the same situation as you and I guess you'll all become friends.

ReputationRep:
    Listen don't start thinking you've made a mistake. So what if your the only girl your not going to uni to make loads of friends your going their to get a degree and your not going to be the only girl there. And if you was you will get on your fine with the guys plus your more likely to make other friends that are on a different course from you. I'm studying sport exercise science and there is way more boys than girls on my course. Your not going to be the only girl on your course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loughborough University)
    Hi Paisley99

You won't be the only girl. I certainly wouldn't be terrified about it and as a previous poster said - you'll be mixed with all sorts of different people on different modules, so it really isn't something to worry about. We have lots of female scientists and engineers here.

It's up to you what you decide to do, but if Physics is where your heart is, I wouldn't choose a different course just because of the male:female ratio as it's going to be pretty much the same at any other uni. You're making a large financial commitment - it needs to be in something you want to do and will take your career where you want it to be.

I can try to put you in touch with a female physics student here if you want to so you can get first hand what it's actually like.
    If you do, PM me your name, e-mail address and telephone number and I can get someone to get in touch.

Hope this helps
    Vicky
    Wow thanks, not yet, I don't need to. But when I do I'll take you up on your offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ions)
    I understand that it's scary but there's not point changing your university because of something so small...it won't be a problem, just make friends with some guys, there will also be girls who are probably in the same situation as you and I guess you'll all become friends.
    That's true, it would be so easy to make friends that way. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl
    Any consolation....
    Hey, I just got my offer for Physics, so you won't be totally alone. PM me if you want
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks, not yet, I don't need to. But when I do I'll take you up on your offer
    (Original post by tristan-lillian)
    Hey, I just got my offer for Physics, so you won't be totally alone. PM me if you want
    Congrats on your offer tristan-lillian :thumbsup:

You're welcome Paisley99 - looks like at least you'll have a buddy

Vicky

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.