Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in year 12 and I've recently decided to pursue doing veterinary medicine however, the only work experience I have is at an NHS hospital and a care home. Would it be too late to gain sufficient work experience for a strong application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPoisonZ)
    Hi I'm in year 12 and I've recently decided to pursue doing veterinary medicine however, the only work experience I have is at an NHS hospital and a care home. Would it be too late to gain sufficient work experience for a strong application?
    It is possible, but you will need to start contacting places asap. Lambing is only really available February-April and you can use the NSA lambing list to find a farmer. You can then do more work experience over the summer, at least 2 weeks in veterinary practices and then try and get some equine and small animal (eg kennels) work and you should be able to get at least 6 weeks if you spend most of your summer doing work experience, which will allow you to apply to most vet schools. However this is obviously going to take up a lot of your summer and revision time over Easter (if you are doing AS levels), so you may want to consider taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPoisonZ)
    It depends where you want to apply to, places like Liverpool put much more of an emphasis on work experience and you have a better chance of getting an offer there if you have some kind of unusual work experience. Bristol are a bit more lax in terms of what they ask for. Your focus over the summer holidays would have to be getting as much experience as you possibly can! I can't overstate the importance of spending at least a week in practice though. It gives you so much insight into what to expect both on the course and when you graduate. The essentials for veterinary work experience are horses, kennels/cattery, and practice. On the Bristol veterinary website there's an admissions statement which is a handy thing to read in order to get to grips with what you'll need to do over the summer.

Lambing isn't essential but its probably a good thing to do, you need to show that you're motivated and have put real time and effort into wanting to study veterinary!
    Not sure where you live but I come from the Bristol area and so have some work experience contacts around there if you wanted any information then hmu! Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.