Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need tips 9-1 English Language AQA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently on Grade 4/5 predicted a 7 how can i revise and get better at it i do aqa btw

ReputationRep:
    practice the specimen again and again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnsmith100)
    Currently on Grade 4/5 predicted a 7 how can i revise and get better at it i do aqa btw
    Which paper do you need advice with? Paper 1 or 2?
    Do you struggle more with the Reading or the Writing section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joeyfrazier)
    Which paper do you need advice with? Paper 1 or 2?
    Do you struggle more with the Reading or the Writing section?
    i need help to mine is section a paper 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamtheone19)
    i need help to mine is section a paper 1
    Memorise the mark scheme.

For example, this is a model answer from Question 2 of Paper 1 from the first set of specimen papers by AQA:

The opening paragraph consists of a single, complex sentence perhaps reflecting the onward movement of the coach. The adjective ‘exposed’ and the noun ‘force’, evoke the idea of vulnerability, danger, and how little control man has over the power of nature. The verb ‘rocking’, progresses the cumulative effect of the list of verbs, ‘shaking’, ‘trembled’, ‘swayed’ leading to the simile, ‘rocking between the high wheels like a drunken man’ suggesting the coach is lurching haphazardly, its movement out of control.

And this is a VERY SIMILAR answer to a DIFFERENT question on a DIFFERENT text from the second set of specimen papers:

The first paragraph consists of a single complex sentence which rolls out a list of sights, perhaps suggesting the onward movement of the crowd on the tram as they make their way into Brighton. The idea that, for the crowd, this is a pilgrimage, is suggested by the biblical noun, ‘multitudes’ and that their ‘bewilderment’ is partly due to their disorientation at seeing the sights of Brighton set out before them – their paradise for the day.

ReputationRep:

For example, this is a model answer from Question 2 of Paper 1 from the first set of specimen papers by AQA:

The opening paragraph consists of a single, complex sentence perhaps reflecting the onward movement of the coach. The adjective ‘exposed’ and the noun ‘force’, evoke the idea of vulnerability, danger, and how little control man has over the power of nature. The verb ‘rocking’, progresses the cumulative effect of the list of verbs, ‘shaking’, ‘trembled’, ‘swayed’ leading to the simile, ‘rocking between the high wheels like a drunken man’ suggesting the coach is lurching haphazardly, its movement out of control.

And this is a VERY SIMILAR answer to a DIFFERENT question on a DIFFERENT text from the second set of specimen papers:

The first paragraph consists of a single complex sentence which rolls out a list of sights, perhaps suggesting the onward movement of the crowd on the tram as they make their way into Brighton. The idea that, for the crowd, this is a pilgrimage, is suggested by the biblical noun, ‘multitudes’ and that their ‘bewilderment’ is partly due to their disorientation at seeing the sights of Brighton set out before them – their paradise for the day.
    Thank you are you like a teacher or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamtheone19)
    Thank you are you like a teacher or something.
    No, but that is how my English teacher taught our whole class to do well in AQA English Language. (For Section B, she made us memorise five different stories and then in the exam, pick the one that best suits the picture they give us) and our class average in the mocks was 78/80...

ReputationRep:
    No, but that is how my English teacher taught our whole class to do well in AQA English Language. (For Section B, she made us memorise five different stories and then in the exam, pick the one that best suits the picture they give us) and our class average in the mocks was 78/80...
    Class average of 78/80! That is insane.

How does this memorising stories work? Have you been giving the stories to memorise?

Any more information you can share on the English Language exams? I struggle with them as well

ReputationRep:

Any idea where I can find a mark scheme online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    Class average of 78/80! That is insane.

How does this memorising stories work? Have you been giving the stories to memorise?

Any more information you can share on the English Language exams? I struggle with them as well
    Yeah, our teacher is one of the best.

Basically, our class is split up into 5 groups with roughly 5 students per group, including 1 group leader. All the students except the group leader have to write separate stories based on the same picture and then email them to the group leader who has to make all the stories into one really good one and then give it to our teacher to mark and improve then she gives us it back along with all the other groups' stories to memorise! We use the same method to write essays for our English Literature exams.

ReputationRep:
    Plz send me your story bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shockez)
    Plz send me your story bro
    Why don't you write one yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you can do this for english language and literature. How do you a) memorise so many essays and b) adapt your answer to the question

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you can do this for english language and literature. How do you a) memorise so many essays and b) adapt your answer to the question
    a) We memorise the essays one by one through reading them aloud. We're given an exam-style question once every week when we have to use one of the stories or essays we've memorised so this keeps them fresh in our head.
    b) For 'An Inspector Calls' we had to memorise an essay about how Priestley presents the Inspector, and then for our mock the question was asking about the importance of Eva Smith so we just had to adapt the essay about the Inspector and write our own conclusion.

ReputationRep:

Thanks, I will try to do this.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you write one yourself?
    you been amazing help bro do u have any tips for the structure question in paper 1 q3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnsmith100)
    you been amazing help bro do u have any tips for the structure question in paper 1 q3
    In Question 3, the examiner wants us to begin with an overall statement that sums up the structure of the whole text.

For example, in 'Specimen assessment materials 1' the model answer begins with "The text, about a journey, is structured to also take the reader on a journey: from the general to the specific; from the outside to the inside; from the weather, through the coach, the driver and horses, to the passengers."

Likewise, in 'Specimen assessment materials 2' the model answer begins with "The text is structured so that the reader can experience the relationship between the one man – Hale, and Brighton and its multitudes, on that day."

Therefore we can say that it is very likely that this will be a) moving from general to specific, or b) moving from the specific to the general.

Furthermore, you should always use the word "focus".

SAMS1: "Around the middle of the extract, the outside and the inside are made to coincide when the old man opens the window – this also moves the focus of the reader to the inside of the coach."

SAMS2: "The writer begins with a focus on one person – Hale, the main character, his feelings and what he is like, so that the reader can identify with him."

Make sure you write at least three paragraphs.

And finally, there may be a need to include quotations, although this seems unnecessary.

SAMS1: "There is also a constant reminder of the weather which permeates each part – the ‘little drips of rain’ that came through the roof and, later, ‘the rain oozed through the crack in the roof’ onto Mary’s shoulder – so the reader is constantly made wet and uncomfortable, just like the passengers."

SAMS2: "Then the scene widens out to the ‘multitudes’ of the crowd and to the streets of Brighton."

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for posting all this advice, its really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for posting all this advice, its really helpful.
    Let me know if you need any other help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do this its so smart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.