Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I didn't do so well in my maths mock exams and so I'm wondering how people who managed to get 8/9 grades revised! It'd be useful to grasp an understanding as to how people are getting the top grades.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at medical school now so I did GCSE quite a while ago.

However, the fundamentals are always the same.

For maths, buy multiple workbooks that cover your specification (this is important) and practice from them. You might also want to invest in a revision guide that explains how to solve problems - again, this must be for your specification. Then, it's simply a matter of effort. Cover whatever is in each of the books and you should have all the required knowledge to answer any question.

The final stage is exam practice, which is also important (but IMO not as important as at A level), and for that you'll need to find past papers. As far as I know, though, you guys have a new GCSE spec so there may not be many papers tailored to your curriculum and you'll want to save the few that you have for nearer to the real exams. I'd suggest sticking to doing workbook questions frequently and trying to do them faster and faster while maintaining accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by respiringmedic)
    I'm at medical school now so I did GCSE quite a while ago.

However, the fundamentals are always the same.

For maths, buy multiple workbooks that cover your specification (this is important) and practice from them. You might also want to invest in a revision guide that explains how to solve problems - again, this must be for your specification. Then, it's simply a matter of effort. Cover whatever is in each of the books and you should have all the required knowledge to answer any question.

The final stage is exam practice, which is also important (but IMO not as important as at A level), and for that you'll need to find past papers. As far as I know, though, you guys have a new GCSE spec so there may not be many papers tailored to your curriculum and you'll want to save the few that you have for nearer to the real exams. I'd suggest sticking to doing workbook questions frequently and trying to do them faster and faster while maintaining accuracy.
    Thank you so much! How often do you think I should be going over maths topics? Should I try to at least revise one topic a day, and increase this as I get closer to exams?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I used this CD called MathsWatch which has video tutorials on each maths topic in the spec. Then there is practise questions and past papers which can still be useful even for the new spec. I used YouTube too there's this channel called mathbff she's really good at explaining methods and it's easy to understand. CGP workbooks are great for practise questions, especially the Grade 9 workbook if you're aiming for the highest marks.

ReputationRep:
    "Don't practise until you get it right, practise until you cant get it wrong" sorry for the cliche you've probably heard a million times. But yh, under a segement of each topic theres a variety of questions you can get, practice all of them to lessen the chance of surprise in an exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Thank you so much! How often do you think I should be going over maths topics? Should I try to at least revise one topic a day, and increase this as I get closer to exams?
    Depends when your exams are and how comfortable you feel.

I wish I could be more help but it's going to be very individual, plus my GCSEs were modular so the way I structured my revision was a bit different.

All you want is that, before the exam, you feel 'I can tackle any question of any topic thrown at me'. You do that by practising topics a lot, especially in the long term. Nearer to the exam, you don't want to just focus on 1/2 topics, you want to be practising everything and improving your timings.

Right now, though, cover the same topics you're doing in class and do them in more detail and depth at home. Best way to do that is by having a timetable.

Also, during holidays nearer exams (like Easter) make a precise plan of revision like 'from 17-20th March, I'm going to cover these 3 topics completely' as this is far better than trying to just revise without a plan or target. I know it's common sense but it's so important.

Also, for other subjects (especially science), print off the specification for your course. This is a list of everything you need to know. Use this and the textbook for your course to revise for exams as it will ensure that you cover whatever could come up in the exam and don't waste time with irrelevant stuff.

Sticking to the specification and planning my revision were big reasons I even got the grades to get into medical school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.