Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the last year and final months of my BA course, I knew this wasn't something I've wanted to do in the future. I've applied to several universities and been accepted into two BSc in Zoology with foundation year courses. I've been looking around on student forums and the government website but it only appears that I could only get student finance for a second course if its in NHS, technology, or Vet medicine.

So is Zoology in vet medicine? Does anyone advise dropping out completely? Is there anything I can do? Is it even worth it?

ReputationRep:
    as far as i'm aware you can't get funding for veterinary medicine as a second degree..(im currently applying as a graduate). but even if you could, no zoology would not count as vet med.

ReputationRep:
    You certainly will not get any funding help for zoology.

Regards Vet med as a second degree, there is no help for tuition fees. These must be paid upfront by the student. The only help available is a mean-tested maintenance loan.

Unfortunately, you will have to drop out if you cannot afford the living and tuition fees by yourself. Generally there is no support for second undergrad degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Nicole,

It may be possible to study STEM subjects part-time and receive a tuition fee loan from Aug/Sept 2017. As far as I'm aware you can study as much as 75% percent of the normal year per year, but it depends on the university and the course. I highly recommend talking with a Student Adviser at your university about your situation as they may be able to provide more practical information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahvictorius)
    Nicole,

It may be possible to study STEM subjects part-time and receive a tuition fee loan from Aug/Sept 2017. As far as I'm aware you can study as much as 75% percent of the normal year per year, but it depends on the university and the course. I highly recommend talking with a Student Adviser at your university about your situation as they may be able to provide more practical information.
    Ooo I'm confused now! My plan was that if I didn't get in for vet med this year, id do a Bsc in bioveterinary science then reapply. Would I still be able to do the vet med through a student loan?

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get this information from about a second loan for tuition fees hannahvictorius?

As far as I was aware...
    "Tuition fee support
    Second-degree students are not entitled to a tuition fee loan from the government and will need to pay all five years tuition fees themselves, or six years fees if an intercalation year is taken.

Living cost support
    • Home (UK) students can apply to the government for a means-tested maintenance loan for living costs, including in an intercalation year.
    • You'll be entitled to additional weeks of the means-tested maintenance loan in any years which have extra weeks due to practice placements."

ReputationRep:
    VetMed is excluded from the EQL rules, meaning there is limited financial support. You cannot access a tuition fee loan, but you can access a maintenance loan, as lwescott says. There's nothing to stop you using this maintenance loan to pay your fees, but you would then need to have the funds to live off. Because of the length of the course, it's going to be a very expensive enterprise as a second degree, however you fund it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lwescott)
    Where did you get this information from about a second loan for tuition fees hannahvictorius?

As far as I was aware...
    "Tuition fee support
    Second-degree students are not entitled to a tuition fee loan from the government and will need to pay all five years tuition fees themselves, or six years fees if an intercalation year is taken.

Living cost support
    • Home (UK) students can apply to the government for a means-tested maintenance loan for living costs, including in an intercalation year.
    • You'll be entitled to additional weeks of the means-tested maintenance loan in any years which have extra weeks due to practice placements."
    I did include a link but it seems to have gone walkies. https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...07-21/HCWS117/

As Reality Check says, Vet Med may be excluded. However, the link on the gov site does suggest it includes Vet Med.

"Student support for part-time students starting a second degree course in STEM subjects.
    Most students who hold a higher education qualification are currently not
    entitled to apply for additional fee loan for a second course if that course leads to a qualification that is equivalent or lower in level (ELQ) than their previous Higher Education qualification.
    The Government has previously relaxed ELQ rules in order to help people who already hold an honours degree qualification but who wish to retrain in some science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) subjects. Students studying second degree courses on a part-time basis can already apply for fee loans for part-time second degree courses in engineering, technology or computer science.
    I can confirm today that ELQ rules are being further relaxed to allow students wishing to start a second honours degree course on a part-time basis from 1 August 2017 onwards to apply for fee loans towards degree courses in the following additional STEM subjects: subjects allied to medicine; biological sciences; veterinary sciences, agriculture and related subjects; physical sciences and mathematical sciences."

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, not seen that before, thanks.

I note it says a second honours degree course on a part-time basis which I didn't know was possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Do you think I can get a loan as a send degree graduate medicine from govetmrnt or NHS.?

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary medicine doesn't come under STEM as far as I'm aware. I have to fund it myself as a graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Additional question - I'll be applying for the maintenance loan as an independent, second-degree student. Does anyone know if this counts as "living at home" or "away from home"? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostbiologist)
    Additional question - I'll be applying for the maintenance loan as an independent, second-degree student. Does anyone know if this counts as "living at home" or "away from home"? thanks!
    Away from home if you're not living at home during the degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just out of interest.. how can anyone afford to pay £9000 for 5 years out of their own pocket? 😣 And the ELQ changes on 1st August '17 are they definitely only for part time courses? I didn't know part time vet med courses existed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shann1187)
    Hi, just out of interest.. how can anyone afford to pay £9000 for 5 years out of their own pocket? 😣 And the ELQ changes on 1st August '17 are they definitely only for part time courses? I didn't know part time vet med courses existed!
    Part time vet courses don't exist as far as I am aware.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely no part-time veterinary medicine courses. At least not in the UK.

Ain't no one wanna be in vet school for ten years :hand:

ReputationRep:
    that's what I thought! But then it said above "can confirm today that ELQ rules are being further relaxed to allow students wishing to start a second honours degree course on a part-time basis from 1 August 2017 onwards to apply for fee loans towards degree courses in the following additional STEM subjects: subjects allied to medicine; biological sciences; veterinary sciences, agriculture and related subjects; physical sciences and mathematical sciences."

Or am I reading that wrong and it's saying funding may be available for veterinary full time? 🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shann1187)
    I manage fortunately but it's not easy. A lot of people save a lot of money before they start. The STEM funding doesn't apply for veterinary medicine, they've not worded it the best but veterinary sciences applies to other veterinary related courses, just not the full time vet med degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Lizzefickling, you mentioned you managed to save for vet med. Did you apply to a 4 year ved med fast track? Were you able to get a maintenance loan? I am living in the middle east saving for the past 4 years but worries about eligibility for the maintenance loan.Also for the 4 year fast track, how many years before did you have a degree? I studied zoology 5 years ago. Worried I may have to do the 5 years of vet met and fund another year!Any advice of tips would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    I manage fortunately but it's not easy. A lot of people save a lot of money before they start. The STEM funding doesn't apply for veterinary medicine, they've not worded it the best but veterinary sciences applies to other veterinary related courses, just not the full time vet med degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Lizzie! I just saw your post and you said you managed to save. I also have been saving and was wondering did u apply for the 4 year vet med fast track? How long ago did you do your previous degree? Mine was Zoogly 4 years ago so am worried I may need to do the 5 years of vet med and fund another year..

Also for the maintenance loan are you aware if it is pretty straight forward to get? I have been living abroad for 4 years and I know one of the conditions is to be in the uk 3 years prior to studying..

Any advice would be great!

Many thanks! Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.