ex-polytechnics Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I've just seen an advert on television for the University of Central Lancashire. I feel sorry for staff at ex-polys. It must be frustrating for a Dr. or Prof. having to enthuse students who, by and large, are there by virtue of their woeful exam results. What do people think of post-1992 Universities?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I've just seen an advert on television for the University of Central Lancashire. I feel sorry for staff at ex-polys. It must be frustrating for a Dr. or Prof. having to enthuse students who, by and large, are there by virtue of their woeful exam results. What do people think of post-1992 Universities?
It must be frustrating for student at these institutions having to put up thier accomplishments being attacked by narrow minded, condecending idiots with no sense of tact...not aimed at anyone in particular (honest )!!!

Did you stop to think that students attending these intitutions may be there for some other reason besides thier (as you term it) "woeful exam results". Not everyone has the same ability and this is something that most would consider to be a good thing!!!

As for the employee's of these institutions, I think that they must take great pride having the oppourtunity to help students of ANY ability succeed at ANY level. Education is a very rewarding profession and I very much doubt that they would be wanting you pity anyway!!!

In your post you have made it abundantly clear that you dislike / have little respect for these "post-1992 Universities" so I have the "perfect" solution...We could just not build anymore eductional institutions. This would solve the problem with ease. On a side note it would also mean the decline of our nation but that is clearly not something that you would like to take into consideration!!!

PS - Some of the above (erm...) "criticism" may not be totally deserved and what I have said may seem harsh but I DEFINITELY think that you should put more thought into what you post BEFORE you insult the students of the nation!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just an intresting idea....all those of us in my school who went through clearing...are now going to old universities....everyone going to central lanc and others are goin because they got they're grades.

so how can you say that central lanc only has tose who messed up they're a-levels?? and are Exeter annoyed that they are having me because i messed up on mine??? no, they are very happy that i messed my a-levels up so that i can now go to Exeter.

if you dont want to go to a new uni...then dont...but dont insult those who are.

love Katy ***
elisabeth_rb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You're also forgetting that many of these new-unis offer vocational courses that are not available at many of the traditionally academic 'old unis. There are countless thousands of full and part time students who apply deliberately for these courses as they are what they want and need. I know 4 people who have been to Leeds Met and they all did the courses they wanted and have vocational degrees to be proud of.

The fact that I went to Leeds Uni, a traditional uni of long-standing, doesn't mean I didn't get 'woeful grades' either - because I did! I went as a mature student ageed almost 25 and got in because I had A levels and seemed interested enough in the subject, (normally a BBC offer - I got CDac (old AS levels in small letters)). Interestingly, Leeds Met rejected me for the course I applied for there.....
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Many of the Drs and Profs will also have attended that university themselves and progressed through the system. I don't think they will have great issues about teaching people who are in exactly the same situation as they were once in.

I also have a friend who is going to central lancashire. She achieved CCC and missed out on Leeds by 1 grade. Im sure she good of got into a university that you would consider 'better', but it is where she wanted to go, so don't put her down for having a preference for an ex-poly and the place it is in.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I'ld rather go to a university that was a meritocracy based on my achievements at point of entry rather than one that only offered places to people out of what must be the patronising notion of compassion.

I went to an old uni and then did a year at a new uni. Having gone to a public school (assisted place) I expected some of the other students to have digs as there path had been harder but I didn't see that. There was the odd sloane comment - not to me - but that's just a socially acceptable way to exclude others. It's rather sad but those people who do that would have been racists in the 1960s and fascists in the 1930s.

Having been in a position to compare I can confirm that the ex poly was much much worse both academically and in terms of the campus culture than the "old" uni. If that doesn't fit in with anybody's agenda of intellectual equality - I'm sorry I didn't want to find that I just did. Be

At the poly the students had a self congratulatory attitude unwarranted. One even told me that due to my schooling I didn't deserve to be there! I agreed but for a different reason - I had four times as many UCAS points.

Everyone is a product of their experience and with this poly, the students are not getting value for the time they're investing in a degree.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
they are trying to get a slice of the pie by re-badging themselves as universities and saluting the governments 50% target. while they offer very good vocational and ex-poly courses, they are using the Uni title to take students who think that a 'red brick' degree from a 3rd division uni will get them a job. a sorry state of affairs that spells heartache for thousands.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%