Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How does psychology, ICT and philosophy link to pharmacy?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onlychantele)
    That's a difficult one...

I guess you could say that psychology links into the whole understanding and communicating with the patient thing...

Is this for a degree application? Have you double checked their entrance requirements - I'd be very surprised if they weren't requiring Chemistry or Biology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    That's a difficult one...

I guess you could say that psychology links into the whole understanding and communicating with the patient thing...

Is this for a degree application? Have you double checked their entrance requirements - I'd be very surprised if they weren't requiring Chemistry or Biology...
    It's for a FY in Pharmacy l have a interview...and l feel as if l need more explanation for that part.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It's for a FY in Pharmacy l have a interview...and l feel as if l need more explanation for that part.
    Ah, ok now I understand

Well, the point of doing a foundation year is if you hadn't taken the right A level subjects - so they are unlikely to care about your A level subject choice. You could say that you picked those subjects because you were interested in understanding how people think and behave, ICT is useful in a wide range of jobs (since pretty much every job requires some computer use) and you have an interest in helping people, but didn't know at the age of 16 exactly what kind of career you were interested in going into, hence why you didn't pick more science-y subjects? Or perhaps your school didn't offer them, their timetables clashed with other subjects you wanted to do, or they required certain grades in GCSE sciences?

You should probably instead focus on why you are now interested in Pharmacy - e.g. have you done some relevant work experience, have you been inspired by a recent personal experience, have you been doing some voluntary work? Even things like reading books about the topic or attending a talk on a related subject would be great to mention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Ah, ok now I understand

Well, the point of doing a foundation year is if you hadn't taken the right A subjects - so they are unlikely to care about your A subject choice. You could say that you picked those subjects because you were interested in understanding how people think and behave, ICT is useful in a wide range of jobs (since pretty much every job requires some computer use) and you have an interest in helping people, but didn't know at the age of 16 exactly what kind of career you were interested in going into, hence why you didn't pick more science-y subjects? Or perhaps your school didn't offer them, their timetables clashed with other subjects you wanted to do, or they required certain grades in GCSE sciences?

You should probably instead focus on why you are now interested in Pharmacy - e.g. have you done some relevant work experience, have you been inspired by a recent personal experience, have you been doing some voluntary work? Even things like reading books about the topic or attending a talk on a related subject would be great to mention
    Yeah l wondered because my teacher are doing a mock interview with my on wednesday before my interview on Saturday. They keep telling me they MIGHT ask me that.

Never had an interview in my life and l was shaking during the previous mock interview and my teachers said l spoke as if l was prepared when l wasn't...how do l speak naturally? Like...what do they want me to do? SAY LIKE A 100 TIMES?!

THANK YOU!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yeah l wondered because my teacher are doing a mock interview with my on wednesday before my interview on Saturday. They keep telling me they MIGHT ask me that.

Never had an interview in my life and l was shaking during the previous mock interview and my teachers said l spoke as if l was prepared when l wasn't...how do l speak naturally? Like...what do they want me to do? SAY LIKE A 100 TIMES?!

THANK YOU!
    Wow, your school's keen! It's great that they are giving you some interview practice - however try not to get too worked up about it, you may find that the real interview is considerably less stressful Try and think of it as just a casual conversation with someone at the university about the course and how well it suits your needs - pretend in your head (but don't sound too cocky!) that you've already got a place, you're just arranging with them what exact modules you're picking or checking that you want to accept the offer

Yes, it is probable that they will ask you about your A level subject choices, but perfectly acceptable to reply that they were subjects you found interesting and at age 16 you just didn't realise that Pharmacy was what you wanted to do. Then you can turn the conversation back into a discussion on why you love Pharmacy

You're welcome! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Psychology - you can talk about the importance of having a good understanding of health psychology as a pharmacist - especially when discussing the uses of medicines with patients, and even more so when trying to understand why they might not want to use certain medicines.

ICT - I don't think this would be particularly useful beyond the basic computer skills that everyone and their dog has nowadays.

Philosophy - I can't really think of when you might apply philosophy to pharmacy practice :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Psychology - you can talk about the importance of having a good understanding of health psychology as a pharmacist - especially when discussing the uses of medicines with patients, and even more so when trying to understand why they might not want to use certain medicines.

ICT - I don't think this would be particularly useful beyond the basic computer skills that everyone and their dog has nowadays.

Philosophy - I can't really think of when you might apply philosophy to pharmacy practice :erm:
    I've got an answer for them - thank you though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.