Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My 21 year old sister is a bit of an ignorant, cocky and rude b****. She has a job, a boyfriend and has a pretty decent car. However, she feels like she rules the house and just sits on her phone not doing housework and disrespects my Mum, my Dad and even me.

My Mum is depressed and worried because my sister ruins the mood of the house by just being a disrespectful and rude person. She's also very messy with her room and never bothers to clean up her mess (I'm not joking, it's so messy that I'm not surprised if it attract rats and the house is a good quality home too). I'm currently at uni in my second year (I'm 19) and live at home (meaning I'm not looking forward to whenever she comes home). When we do call her out, she acts incredibly defensive and snaps at us whenever we talk to her at all. We as a family are falling apart because of her. Ultimately I really don't know what to do about this because I love her. I keep saying to my Mum and Dad "to be more strict" to her, but they say that it won't work on her. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Jackoasta)
    My 21 year old sister is a bit of an ignorant, cocky and rude b****. She has a job, a boyfriend and has a pretty decent car. However, she feels like she rules the house and just sits on her phone not doing housework and disrespects my Mum, my Dad and even me.

My Mum is depressed and worried because my sister ruins the mood of the house by just being a disrespectful and rude person. She's also very messy with her room and never bothers to clean up her mess (I'm not joking, it's so messy that I'm not surprised if it attract rats and the house is a good quality home too). I'm currently at uni in my second year (I'm 19) and live at home (meaning I'm not looking forward to whenever she comes home). When we do call her out, she acts incredibly defensive and snaps at us whenever we talk to her at all. We as a family are falling apart because of her. Ultimately I really don't know what to do about this because I love her. I keep saying to my Mum and Dad "to be more strict" to her, but they say that it won't work on her. What should I do?
    She's 21... she's an adult... your parents aren't really in a position "to be more strict"... that would be a bit ridiculous. Treat her like the adult she is and get your parents to have a sit down with her and talk to her about how hurtful her behaviour is. You should stay out of it, you're her kid sister, she won't listen to you and definitely won't like being told what to do by you.

As for her room, what does it matter? She's the one who has to live with it.

ReputationRep:
    I tried talking my Mum and Dad into talking to her, but they won't do it for the reason of "her being too old". I'm beginning to think that my Mum and Dad are scared about talking to her (which is worrying). What should I do in the case of this?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.