Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I have a question about English requirements for medicine at university. Most universities have a GCSE requirements for English Language, where I got an A*. Some of them have an English requirements for IB (which is what I'm taking).

However, this is where it gets tricky. I called one university and was told I need about 5 years of English education in order to prove my language skills. I'm an EU student, who attends an international school, and I've been doing so the past 3 years now. When I graduate, it's going to be 4.5 years of English-based education (I switched halfway through year 9).

Since I took my GCSEs and came out with good results, and since I'm taking IB in English and have English A SL as one of my subjects, will this be an issue (assuming I'll meet the English requirements in terms of grades)?

ReputationRep:
    You'd need to contact unis to ask about your situation since they probably have different policies. Just taking the IELTS or some other test could be an easier solution though. I think it's pretty common for unis to make conditional offers based on this so you could also wait until you get an offer and see what they say in it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.