Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now, obviously I'm not going to base my decision solely on these answers, but I was looking for advice from people who might know better than me what options there are out there. The problem for me has always been that I have quite eclectic tastes and find it difficult to focus.

I'm 25, I graduated in 2015 with a 1st class degree in French & Italian.

I am extremely empathetic, sensitive and quite quiet--I get nervous when public speaking but enjoy communicating through writing. I travel a lot. I have tried working in an office under management but felt utterly depressed, I need a certain degree of independence and prefer to work my own hours when possible.

I am currently working as a freelance writer and occasional photographer. Aside from professional work, in my spare time I write short stories and I'm working on a longer manuscript. I would love to go down the latter route, though obviously pursuing a career as an author is not always lucrative so I would like to have options.

I am considering Comparative Literature, Translation, History of Art, a conversion to Law, Creative Writing (though this would leave little room for further research).

Any ideas?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You really have to follow your heart with this but work out what you want to do first. You may not need the masters course to do it. The only thing I can think of that you're not already doing is something in a library or archives. Will post again if I think of anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    You really have to follow your heart with this but work out what you want to do first. You may not need the masters course to do it. The only thing I can think of that you're not already doing is something in a library or archives. Will post again if I think of anything else.
    Thanks for this, I know I don't necessarily need the masters course but I suppose I enjoyed studying--more than anything I liked the security/cosy feeling of being at university. I might enjoy being in a university environment long-term, and I suppose it would make me more appealing to any literary agents if it ever comes to that.

Working in a library or archives could be a good alternative, though where I currently living (central London) I feel as though all desirable jobs like that are in extremely high demand.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not certain I would recommend law based on the limited description of your personality and interests; I would be more inclined to suggest the PGCE but that too may be unappealing. Perhaps TEFL would be best since those who dislike public speaking tend to find it more agreeable the younger the audience, and particularly since you enjoy travelling and presumably speak foreign languages. You may also have a good background for a journalism masters and while I certainly wouldn't call it secure, you would be at the very least writing for a living and without the formality of an office job.

Pursuing academia sounds suitable, especially if you prioritise independence and flexible working hours, though you might still struggle to find time (and intellectual motivation) for your own writing during the first four years of the masters and PhD, which are quite intense. I suppose you first need to decide just how desperate you are to become an author. If the answer is very much so then perhaps take the plunge with the Creative Writing masters and commit to that end. Otherwise, academia seems most reasonable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.