The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Maths and Eco vs UCL Eco - thoughts?

I applied to both courses, and I am really stuck on what to firm?
I think my skills flourish more in mathematics, however, as Economics at uni is said to be very mathematical, and it is argued straight Economics is more desirable to employers, what would seem best to choose as my firm choice?

I have been to both university open days and very much like both institutions, so for me right now it is a matter of which would be better in the long term? LSE has a very strong reputation, as does UCL, but would the combined honours put some employers off? and for what jobs in particular would I be at risk at doing so?

People argue that joint honours are also harder, but as I find maths easier would that not be the case? If anyone studies either course I would love to hear what you have to say also!

If anyone could tell me what they would do in my shoes I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you
Original post by jainx22
I think my skills flourish more in mathematics, however, as Economics at uni is said to be very mathematical, and it is argued straight Economics is more desirable to employers, what would seem best to choose as my firm choice?

I have been to both university open days and very much like both institutions, so for me right now it is a matter of which would be better in the long term? LSE has a very strong reputation, as does UCL, but would the combined honours put some employers off? and for what jobs in particular would I be at risk at doing so?

People argue that joint honours are also harder, but as I find maths easier would that not be the case? If anyone studies either course I would love to hear what you have to say also!

If anyone could tell me what they would do in my shoes I'd appreciate it so much.

Thank you

Honestly, employers won't care if you're doing Maths & Econ or just straight economics as LSE is a top university, same with UCL. It might even open more doors for you if you're doing combined honours as you have career paths associated with both maths and economics.

Just look at the courses in more detail and see which one you like more.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by jainx22

Thank you

Have you got your offer from LSE? I don't think it really matters which course you want to do as both are similar to an extent anyway. I think straight Econ is better as you do get branded as an economist at the end of the course hence why it says Bsc(econ) as appose to just Bsc. I am not sure you get same level of branding in a maths and economics course. But I like LSE better than UCL, so i've got mixed opinion about your case.
Reply 3
Original post by JustAGeogStudent
Honestly, employers won't care if you're doing Maths & Econ or just straight economics as LSE is a top university, same with UCL. It might even open more doors for you if you're doing combined honours as you have career paths associated with both maths and economics.

Just look at the courses in more detail and see which one you like more.

Thank you for that advice; yes I agree they are both similar degrees, but you hear talks of straight eco being advantageous, which is what made me uncertain. I will definitely have a look at the course outline again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xyolox
Have you got your offer from LSE? I don't think it really matters which course you want to do as both are similar to an extent anyway. I think straight Econ is better as you do get branded as an economist at the end of the course hence why it says Bsc(econ) as appose to just Bsc. I am not sure you get same level of branding in a maths and economics course. But I like LSE better than UCL, so i've got mixed opinion about your case.

I haven't got an LSE offer yet, (I am speaking in hypothetical terms). Yes, the prestige that straight eco provides, as being an economist, and having thorough knowledge of the subject, is what is creating this big divide in my head. I agree, in terms of LSE's reputation, especially for economics, makes me so so unsure of what to do.
Some people say the prestige of the name of the uni i.e. LSE, can do a lot for you in employment terms?
(That is not to downgrade UCL in any way).

What would you do in my case, if you were put in my shoes?

Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jainx22
I haven't got an LSE offer yet, (I am speaking in hypothetical terms). Yes, the prestige that straight eco provides, as being an economist, and having thorough knowledge of the subject, is what is creating this big divide in my head. I agree, in terms of LSE's reputation, especially for economics, makes me so so unsure of what to do.
Some people say the prestige of the name of the uni i.e. LSE, can do a lot for you in employment terms?
(That is not to downgrade UCL in any way).

What would you do in my case, if you were put in my shoes?

Thank you :smile:

That's actually a tough one. Both the unis are so similar- good international reputation, low student satisfaction, london lifestyle, list goes on. Nevertheless I think I may go for LSE, but like you I am also more into the maths side of things, and it has an excellent reputation in the financial world in particular, while UCL is good overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending