Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like someone with big mental issues.
    What kind of flat is that? Some student place or actual 'grown up' house? Is it just the 2 of you?

ReputationRep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are you joint tenants? Both on equal legal grounds under the contract?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have her mother on social media lol? Remove them both

Do whatever you want as long as it's allowed in the contract. If she still cries tell her to get ****ed and call the tenant. I'm surprised how people even put up with **** like this.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp16fuf)
    it's just the two of us. She constantly leaves the flat a mess, has never cleaned, hasn't bought anything for the flat- leaving it up to me to buy the necessities and also asks my fiancé to do things, which he does, and then refuses to let him stay even though he's been basically forced out of his accommodation by a flatmate who is threatening him but won't let him stay.
    sounds like a really tough situation . She's obviously in the wrong here, but maybe they are some reasons as to why she treats him this way? Some bad experience with men, religious reasons etc.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    ""

ReputationRep:
    Move out or talk to her seriously!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yep we are, I pay £20 a week more than she does as I have a slightly bigger room
    Then she has no right to dictate your life in your house to the extent that she does. She isn't your landlord, and she isn't even enforcing terms of the tenancy agreement to boot; she is making the rules up when she shouldn't.

Is she a jealous loner?

Talk to her, stand your ground. Don't let her control your actions, do what you want. If this doesn't work contact a third party: your landlord, or even Citizens Advice/the police if she ever goes full psycho.

Don't pay more money to sleep somewhere else when this is your house, which you have a right to - as much as she does.

ReputationRep:
    ""

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but why are you letting her?

Invite your fiance over, if she tries to ban him tell her to go f herself? She has no right to tell you who can, or cannot stay in your house. You are paying for the privilege, she should move out.

ReputationRep:
    Defy her. Have your fiancé stay for more days and there's nothing she can do about it unless she has the physical strength to throw him out.

ReputationRep:
    ""

ReputationRep:
    ""

ReputationRep:
    """

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to be much more assertive with her, especially since you're paying and doing more than her.
    Block her and her mother on social media, then do as you wish.
    If she complains tell her to move out or go make herself look like a mug to the landlord
    • Very Important Poster

I have been living with my current flatmate since September and have had troubles the second she moved in. She has banned some of my friends from visiting the flat, won't allow my fiancé to stay for more than 3 nights a week (There is nothing in the contracts which states this rule), even though he has nowhere else to go at the minute (long other story), herself and her mother both send me nasty messages over social media, thinks it is my responsibility to clean the flat and take out her bins etc and has a go at me if something isn't spotless. She constantly has a go at my fiancé when he is round but not to me, please bear in mind that he is lovely, constantly cleans, takes out the bins, helps her if she ever needs it. It's becoming impossible to live with her so much so that i'm paying for nights in the local premier inn to get away from her. Many of our friends have said that she is bullying me and don't understand why my fiancé can't stay in my room when I want him to? We constantly try and involve her in the conversations and always do as she asks. Basically my question is: Is there anything I can do and can my fiancé stay whenever he wants?
    What sort of accomoodation is it?

Uni owned? Private hall or private flat? Is he making a financial contribution? Essentially you are making it a three person flat. There are rules governing max stays in university accommodation, so she has a point. the LL will also not be happy if he finds 3 people are staying by default for an extended period becayse soemtimes they charge more rent.

That said nobody need know and if the flatmates agree they can normally let it pass and nobody will be the wiser. At some stage it starts to impose on the other flatmate especually if you are sleeping together. If you wnated a flat together then you should have rented one together. So she has a point and at some stage you are likely to be rbeaking your contract, but I cant see it.

That said you just sound incompatible and mayeb the best choice would be to find somewhere with your bf. You will need to find a replacement.

You can have him stay when you want but its extended periods that get her back up. That said she cant ban friends and she shouldnt be sending you nasty messages. Talk to the LL about one or the other of you leaving.

ReputationRep:
    ""

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.