Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    I am going to study Computer Science at Goldsmiths University of London and I would like to ask if you can explain to me in more detailed what is to study computer science like, give me advices and information about the degree at all. I am feeling excited and I want to know more about the degree at all.
    Thank you,
    Ivan
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for Goldsmiths University but as a Computer Science graduate I can try to provide what I know about a Computer Science course.

Typically, you get exposed to a variety of modules such as the following:
    • Programming module (Java, C++ and Python are the main ones)
    • Maths module (most of the time it's predicate logic but varies by uni)
    • Individual project/Dissertation (final year project which makes up the bulk of your final year)

You get other modules too but they could vary from website designing to theory modules like algorithms or systems architecture. Check what modules Goldsmiths has to offer during your 3 years.

I think as far as advice goes, I'd say keep practicing every week on your programming. It's easy to fall behind on coursework too so make sure you keep working on it as you go along and don't leave it until the last minute. Use YouTube tutorials to help you on things like Java or Python and when it comes to exams, make sure you attempt past papers.

ReputationRep:
    On my course we started with an induction module where we had to do a presentation on unit testing, then our other coursework was to write some ASM programs to solve a mathematical problem and do some basic output and formatting, then we moved onto two modules called Databases and Software Engineering where we learned some mySQL and lots of C# respectively. Now we have an optional module followed by Maths/Algorithms and Infrastructure. Thing I like most about the course is that it's mostly coursework not exams. Thing I dislike the most is the team work as people don't meet up and try to do things last minute.

I recommend you do all your set prereading and take notes from the lecture slides before the actual lecture and bring your notes in. Then if the lecturer mentions anything else write that on top of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.