Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth.stoney)
    Hi,

So I've applied for the wrong course at uni. I've applied for French and Politics but have now realised I didn't really choose Politics because I actually wanted to do it. I'd really prefer to do two languages instead.

However, I've realised this a bit too late, and now that the UCAS deadline has passed I can't really reapply. I've had four offers so far for French and Politics, still waiting to hear back from my fifth choice, and they're all at universities I like. I don't want to be left without anywhere to go in September, but I don't want to end up going to do a course I don't like and then dropping out.

Can I change my course somehow, without losing my offers?
    What do I do?

Thanks
    I suppose you could apply through clearing but it could be a little risky. I'm not sure if you could apply through extra if your fifth choice is an offer? Or directly ring the university and see if it's possible to swap over
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I've applied for the wrong course at uni. I've applied for French and Politics but have now realised I didn't really choose Politics because I actually wanted to do it. I'd really prefer to do two languages instead.

However, I've realised this a bit too late, and now that the UCAS deadline has passed I can't really reapply. I've had four offers so far for French and Politics, still waiting to hear back from my fifth choice, and they're all at universities I like. I don't want to be left without anywhere to go in September, but I don't want to end up going to do a course I don't like and then dropping out.

Can I change my course somehow, without losing my offers?
    What do I do?

Thanks
    Email your four choices and ask if they ll allow you to swap course.

ReputationRep:
    Call up the universities and ask if it is possible, that's the only way as far as I know, since you've got offers.

Or you could wait till clearing and reject all your offers, but that would be very stupid (in my opinion).

Yeah, just call them up.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. If I call them up and ask to swap courses, would they be able to withdraw the offer I already have? Because I'd obviously not be a good match for the course, and it doesn't look great to have applied for the wrong thing.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. If I call them up and ask to swap courses, would they be able to withdraw the offer I already have? Because I'd obviously not be a good match for the course, and it doesn't look great to have applied for the wrong thing.
    They won't withdraw any offers. The worst that will happen is they can't transfer you and you then have the choice of refusing all your offers and going into Extra to find the correct course for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They won't reject you for asking to switch course.

They'll either say: "yep no problem ", "possibly we'll run it past the admissions tutors and get back to you ", or "no sorry but that switch isn't possible right now ".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.