The Student Room Group

Why are looks the most important thing in society nowadays??? (cliche`topic- I know)

I really hate this and just find it so sad. Nobody cares about the real important things in life.

On Instagram I never usually post pictures other than of myself, simply because of the fact that I know that my followers won't really care about other kind of pictures, for example quotes that mean a lot to me and that I think are really powerful, or a picture of a beautiful sunset.

But anyway today I posted a picture for the first time that wasn't myself- it was a picture describing how in Japan they often repair objects with gold when they break, and this was compared to humans. Anyway the point is it was a beautiful concept, but as expected it barely got likes because people simply don't care about these things in life. However when I post a picture of myself I quickly get a lot of likes.

This is one of the reasons why I'm a quiet person and don't talk about my interests. I feel like there's no one that values the things I do and like no one understands me.

Anyway I guess everyone's different.

Not expecting any responses on this, just felt like ranting.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's more sad is determining your worth with how much likes you get on social media.
Original post by Pikachū
What's more sad is determining your worth with how much likes you get on social media.

many*
Reply 3
Original post by Pikachū

Where did you get that from? Nowhere have I said anything like my worth depends on how many likes I get.
(edited 7 years ago)
Idc about likes anymore. I post about whatever I want to. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by saraxh
Idc about likes anymore. I post about whatever I want to. :smile:

That's exactly what I'm going to continue doing.
Reply 6
guys don't follow attractive girls on Instagram to learn about culture or philosophy, you should know that by now luv

as to your question. Media/celebrities is mostly fueling the obsession with looks
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
guys don't follow attractive girls on Instagram to learn about culture or philosophy, you should know that by now luv

as to your question. Media/celebrities is mostly fueling the obsession with looks

I don't have a lot of guys on my Instagram, most of them are girls.

Yeah.. :frown:
human nature
Original post by Pikachū

Ooh that was savage
Original post by Nadine_08
I really hate this and just find it so sad. Nobody cares about the real important things in life.

On Instagram I never usually post pictures other than of myself, simply because of the fact that I know that my followers won't really care about other kind of pictures, for example quotes that mean a lot to me and that I think are really powerful, or a picture of a beautiful sunset.

But anyway today I posted a picture for the first time that wasn't myself- it was a picture describing how in Japan they often repair objects with gold when they break, and this was compared to humans. Anyway the point is it was a beautiful concept, but as expected it barely got likes because people simply don't care about these things in life. However when I post a picture of myself I quickly get a lot of likes.

This is one of the reasons why I'm a quiet person and don't talk about my interests. I feel like there's no one that values the things I do and like no one understands me.

Anyway I guess everyone's different.

Not expecting any responses on this, just felt like ranting.

Because looks are everything, is the first thing you see
People don't use instagram to read quotes. I think the sort of social media validation you're looking for is more twitter and tumblr's niche.
>why are looks the most important thing?
>complains about low likes on a photo

:facepalm2:
Reply 13
Original post by CraigBackner
Because looks are everything, is the first thing you see

On Instagram? Don't get what you mean.
On Instagram? Don't get what you mean.

in real life
Reply 15
Original post by Retired_Messiah
People don't use instagram to read quotes. I think the sort of social media validation you're looking for is more twitter and tumblr's niche.

Hmm I guess.
Reply 16
Original post by Kravence
>why are looks the most important thing?
>complains about low likes on a photo

:facepalm2:

Did you even read my post?

The low likes was on a pic that wasn't of me.
Reply 17
Original post by CraigBackner
in real life

In real life the situation is different, of course looks are the first thing others see. But I'm talking only about Instagram atm.
Did you even read my post?

The low likes was on a pic that wasn't of me.

I don't remember saying it was of you.
You missed the point lol

You're saying people are superficial and care more about looks while your complaining about something just as shallow.

In other words, you're a hypocrite
Reply 19
Original post by Kravence
I don't remember saying it was of you.
You missed the point lol

You're saying people are superficial and care more about looks while your complaining about something just as shallow.

In other words, you're a hypocrite

No, you've missed the point of the whole post.

Quick Reply