Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my mum keeps demanding money from me Watch

ReputationRep:
    The general pattern that Will occurs here. Once You give her It Shell know she van get money So If You van avoid paying anything until its finished And you're In a job. I personally think what shes doing is wrong. You may have to move out of your house because It seems a bit immature what she is doing. Though rent is rent but single parents can get money got You until youre twenty So I don't see How she is actually missing out! Or I can't understand her point If view. But If You dont pay her any money She'll never Forget It unless You agréé terms first. This sounds really really Messy!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Of course she wants more, you're absolutely taking her for a ride.
    It's his mother, not some commercial arrangement!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Your mother received benefits for you, which she's lost and you're obviously costing her money by living at home.

ReputationRep:
    She can still get benefits Up until youre twenty!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    She can still get benefits Up until youre twenty!
    Not if at uni.

ReputationRep:
    As you considered 2K reasonable previously, contribute the 2K. State that you will see what further funds you can contribute in a few months time, but at present you need to preserve some funds for attending and clothing yourself for university. I am guessing that your exams are in May/June? Get a job and your own place or a room in shared accommodation after your exams and try to preserve a relationship with your mother without the stresses of financial negotiations.

ReputationRep:
    If you live at home, it is fair enough for her to ask for money but it is your money and it is up to you whether you pay it or not.You just need to negotiate wisely.

Personally, I would play hardball in your position. Just say you give 2k, that is all you can afford and you are not paying more under any circumstances. Is she really going to kick you out of the house and then not get any money? I wouldn't get involved in discussing your finances or listening to her sob stories and trying to justify yourself. Be unapologetic about it.

You are the one who knows how to play your mum best but don't feel bad for your negotiating tactics. You don't owe her anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im in my final year at uni and throughout my uni life I have given my mum £2000 of the £6000 i get at student finance.

In 2nd year i worked part time, but it drained me because i was always tired and had no time to study. my grades during that year were not great either - i was getting mid to low 2.1's in my assignments etc.

My mum is a single parent who earns less than 18,000 a year and wants me to give her more money from student finance. In an ideal world she wants me to work part time whilst studying full time and i cannot do that as this is my final year and i want to give it my best shot. Also, I have an extra module this semester so there is no way i'd be able to keep up a job. I keep saying to her that as soon as i finish my exams i will get a job somewhere (anything really as it will only be temporary till i get a proper job using my degree). I had previously told her that i could only give her £2000 and she was ok with it. Now shes started saying that i need to give more because it isnt enough and that im greedy for keeping £4000 to myself etc etc... i honestly dont know what to do! please give me advice and tips. she is always nagging at me saying that when she was my age her life was a lot harder blah blah blah. how can she honestly expect me to actually pay her what she considers enough when im only a student?!!
    I think your argument that you can't do part-time work in your final year is reasonable. The final year is harder than the 1st 2 years and counts the most in your degree classification.

But so is your mom's argument that you are living at home and should contribute to household bills/ food / rent etc. If you live in a student flat you would have to pay these things and won't see much left of your student loan. I don't agree with the posters who said you should live for free at your mom's place, especially as she's on low income (18K isn't a lot of money after tax).

You need a 2nd opinion. Ask your uni's student union for advice on what is a reasonable amount to pay your mom for bills/food/rent and give that to her.

If you don't want to pay mom you could move out, but you will find that you'll have to get a part-time job, because your loan won't cover your living costs. Trust me on this, I moved out for uni and I've needed to get a part time job.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Im in my final year at uni and throughout my uni life I have given my mum £2000 of the £6000 i get at student finance.

In 2nd year i worked part time, but it drained me because i was always tired and had no time to study. my grades during that year were not great either - i was getting mid to low 2.1's in my assignments etc.

My mum is a single parent who earns less than 18,000 a year and wants me to give her more money from student finance. In an ideal world she wants me to work part time whilst studying full time and i cannot do that as this is my final year and i want to give it my best shot. Also, I have an extra module this semester so there is no way i'd be able to keep up a job. I keep saying to her that as soon as i finish my exams i will get a job somewhere (anything really as it will only be temporary till i get a proper job using my degree). I had previously told her that i could only give her £2000 and she was ok with it. Now shes started saying that i need to give more because it isnt enough and that im greedy for keeping £4000 to myself etc etc... i honestly dont know what to do! please give me advice and tips. she is always nagging at me saying that when she was my age her life was a lot harder blah blah blah. how can she honestly expect me to actually pay her what she considers enough when im only a student?!!
    I'm assuming you live at home? If so i'm guessing shes asks you for money for things such as the rent, the electricity, the gas, the food etc which if you weren't living with her you would have to pay for your self through your own money and not hers.

ReputationRep:
    £2k is really a tiny amount to be paying for your accommodation and you should definitely be giving your mum 2k if you live at home, especially given she doesn't earn much herself - 4k is probably a lot more disposable income than she has per year (and enough that you shouldn't need to work)... in my opinion, you're an adult and if you don't like what your mum is asking you to contribute then you should move out and into student accommodation, I am pretty sure you'll have less than 4k spare income at that point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    It's his mother, not some commercial arrangement!
    And he is robbing her of the chance to make a commercial arrangement with someone else for his room by refusing to move into student accommodation. He is trying to have his cake and eat it too. He is paid that money by the gvmt with the intention the majority of it will be spent on rent.

He could well be ruining his mothers life and he is acting like he's the victim.

ReputationRep:
    You're living at home and only paying 2k in living expenses? So what on earth are you doing with the extra 4k? In all honesty she's right to ask why you're keeping that money to yourself. No amount of books and study expenses could reasonably reach to 4k, unless you have like a 2 hour commute to uni every day (do you?). As someone else said, most students only get around 6k and this is with paying proper rent/bills/all living costs.

It's totally reasonable for her to ask you to pay a bit more. Tbh it's totally reasonable for her to ask you to pay whatever financial burden you're creating by living with her. Does your mother rent (rather than own her own home)? If so, she's paying for your extra room each month. The financial burden you create is likely to be more than 2k a year, even if you mother doesn't rent and therefore has no real extra mortgage expense - and therefore it's not fair to give her anything less than what you are costing her. Sit down with her with some recent bills and work out what you're costing. If you want more control over your own finances, buy your own food separately so you can at least budget for that.

If you're going to get upset about this, why didn't you consider living out? I expect the answer is something like it's way more expensive? Normally I wouldn't support a parent taking someone's student finance money but if you're living with them and therefore becoming a financial burden then I think it's totally reasonable. Student finance isn't there for students to save for luxuries, it's meant for living costs such as rent and bills. And whilst it's your money and she can't force you to give it to her, in the same vein you can't force her to let you live with her and could easily ask you to move out if you became too unaffordable (and she'd have every right to do so). Some of the replies to this post come across as extremely entitled. If you're costing your mother more than 2k (which you probably are), then she would be financially better off if you weren't there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.