Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in my final year of secondary school, I'm good with maths with a predicted grade of a level A** / 9 and targets for other subjects don't fall below an A / 7. At college I'm going to choose Maths, economics and computer science. I'm interested in pursuing a job concerning finance/banking and came across Investment banking which looked kinda cool. My two biggest concerns when choosing a path for my future is having a high potential salary and something that isn't completely boring.

Just wondering if it's for me
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =-= Aaron =-=)
    So I'm in my final year of secondary school, I'm good with maths with a predicted grade of a level A** / 9 and targets for other subjects don't fall below an A / 7. At college I'm going to choose Maths, economics and computer science. I'm interested in pursuing a job concerning finance/banking and came across Investment banking which looked kinda cool. My two biggest concerns when choosing a path for my future is having a high potential salary and something that isn't completely boring.

Just wondering if it's for me
    The only person that can tell you if it's for you, is yourself. You have to consider, what you enjoy doing, making sure you get the grades but also keeping options open.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by your predicted grade, a career in finance would be right up your street. You clearly have the intelligence to work with numbers as well as problem solving!

Regarding achieving such a high grade, may I ask how you work towards it and revise? My target is an 8, however, I am sceptical about whether I could achieve it.

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxvid)
    Judging by your predicted grade, a career in finance would be right up your street. You clearly have the intelligence to work with numbers as well as problem solving!

Regarding achieving such a high grade, may I ask how you work towards it and revise? My target is an 8, however, I am sceptical about whether I could achieve it.

Many thanks.
    The problem is I find it very hard to motivate myself to revise...so basically I don't at the moment - Obviously for my GCSE's I will. My method of revision for Maths would be to purchase a workbook that goes up to grade 9 and go through every topic obviously focusing on your weaker topics. I myself have a "Collins GCSE Maths - GCSE Maths AQA Higher Student Book [Fourth edition]", in my opinion it's amazing. It has every topic in it + a bunch of questions from low to high grades. After you've done that grab a load of sample papers and work through those - This is by far the best method of revision. You'll learn the style of the new spec. questions, what you still need to work on and I've found it may boost your confidence when facing harder questions which is pretty key for exams.

Another thing you can do is get an A3 piece of paper - I would suggest colour yellow as it makes you concentrate more - And dedicate the entire piece of paper to one topic, really break the topic down possibly explaining each step, write in huge letters and look at it every now again just to embed the method in your memory.

Finally with the level 9 questions, I've found that with most of the questions, the math knowledge side is usually not that hard. The hard part is analysing the question and finding the correct method, from then it's not too bad :/. Anyways, there's usually only a couple level 9 questions which means that you can still get a level 9 and not answer the level 9 questions at all xD, also remember there's very little marks for getting the right answer, a lot of the marks will be picked up from your method so at least have a go at every question.

P.S. - The above may sound like a lot but trust me, having a level 9 GCSE will definitely set you apart from the crowd so, even if it's just for one month, put your head down and study hard - You've got a 3 month holiday after to relax xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by =-= Aaron =-=)
    The problem is I find it very hard to motivate myself to revise...so basically I don't at the moment - Obviously for my GCSE's I will. My method of revision for Maths would be to purchase a workbook that goes up to grade 9 and go through every topic obviously focusing on your weaker topics. I myself have a "Collins GCSE Maths - GCSE Maths AQA Higher Student Book [Fourth edition]", in my opinion it's amazing. It has every topic in it + a bunch of questions from low to high grades. After you've done that grab a load of sample papers and work through those - This is by far the best method of revision. You'll learn the style of the new spec. questions, what you still need to work on and I've found it may boost your confidence when facing harder questions which is pretty key for exams.

Another thing you can do is get an A3 piece of paper - I would suggest colour yellow as it makes you concentrate more - And dedicate the entire piece of paper to one topic, really break the topic down possibly explaining each step, write in huge letters and look at it every now again just to embed the method in your memory.

Finally with the level 9 questions, I've found that with most of the questions, the math knowledge side is usually not that hard. The hard part is analysing the question and finding the correct method, from then it's not too bad :/. Anyways, there's usually only a couple level 9 questions which means that you can still get a level 9 and not answer the level 9 questions at all xD, also remember there's very little marks for getting the right answer, a lot of the marks will be picked up from your method so at least have a go at every question.

P.S. - The above may sound like a lot but trust me, having a level 9 GCSE will definitely set you apart from the crowd so, even if it's just for one month, put your head down and study hard - You've got a 3 month holiday after to relax xD
    Appreciate this! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people have second thoughts about their chosen courses at college/university, but never think that this is your definitive destination to life.

Many people do decide after their further education that their chosen subject is not for them or was not what they expected and use the skills they acquired to do something else.

So don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    do insight events:

this thread will tell you how to make effective use of your time during a-levels to realise your career ambitions and put you in the best possible situation going into uni to apply to competitive jobs such as these.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.