Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your favourite historical conspiracy theory? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I was recently watching something on Channel 4 called: 'Pearl Harbor: The Truth' which was a documentary on what 'actually' happened on that famous morning in December 1941. It argues that FDR allowed the attack to happen and that he was fully aware of it as he wanted a reason to join the the war effort on the side of the Allies as the American people and congress were against joining.

There's also other interesting conspiracies that others believe such as the moon landings being faked by NASA and the assassination of JFK surrounding the number of shots fired. So this got me thinking; what are your favourite historical conspiracy theories?

NOTE: Any posts about holocaust denial or 9/11 being staged will be dealt with swiftly and in the appropiate manner
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    I was recently watching something on Channel 4 called: 'Pearl Harbor: The Truth' which was a documentary on what 'actually' happened on that famous morning in December 1941. It argues that FDR allowed the attack to happen and that he was fully aware of it as he wanted a reason to join the the war effort on the side of the Allies as the American people and congress were against joining.

There's also other interesting conspiracies that others believe such as the moon landings being faked by NASA and the assassination of JFK surrounding the number of shots fired. So this got me thinking; what are your favourite historical conspiracy theories?

NOTE: Any posts about holocaust denial or 9/11 being staged will be dealt with swiftly and in the appropiate manner
    Mythbusters did an episode where they proved that the arguments for why the moon landings are fake can't be true
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That Pearl Habour one sounds fascinating.

*goes to Google*

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    That Pearl Habour one sounds fascinating.

*goes to Google*

Definitely worth a watch There's an episode on the Titanic too which suggested that it's fate was down to some fire-y coal which warmed the steel of the watertight compartments and caused it to sink quicker

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Illurminarteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth a watch There's an episode on the Titanic too which suggested that it's fate was down to some fire-y coal which warmed the steel of the watertight compartments and caused it to sink quicker
    There's a lot of stuff surrounding the sinking of the Titanic that many now believe points to it actually not being the Titanic that sunk, but rather another ship of the same line, the Olympic. Even things down to the position and number of portholes play a role. Interesting read/thing to think about.

Many peculiarities about that disaster; so many things went so wrong, and they all snowballed into each other to create the whole shebang. Even down to the fire meaning the coal had to be burned at a faster rate, ergo Titanic was travelling at a particularly fast speed. Turns out she definitely wasn't 'unsinkable'!

Moon landing denial just makes my head hurt, however.

ReputationRep:
    JFK is the only conspiracy theory I believe in. I guess you could count MK-Ultra (seriously nasty stuff) although that was actually found to be true.

So many things about JFK make absolutely no sense...

-The death of every witness who gave their name to the police after the shooting.

-The Zapruder film clearly showing that there's no way Oswald could've made the 'magic bullet' shot from his shooting angle.

-The man who pulls an umbrella (on a warm summers day) when the motorcade turns onto the street.

I could go on listing facts forever, I've believed (since I was about 15) that JFK was killed by factions within the US government, possibly colluding with the Mafia, Oswald was the scape goat. Sadly, no one will ever know what happened that day, anyone involved is most likely gone...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    moon landing. Yes i get it is expensive but its been almost 50 years since armstrong supposedly stepped on the moon and its perplexing why we havent ventured further

ReputationRep:

A bit questionable why 9/11 conspiracies are not allowed, but Pearl Harbour ones are.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by quasa)
    moon landing. Yes i get it is expensive but its been almost 50 years since armstrong supposedly stepped on the moon and its perplexing why we havent ventured further
    Why would it be perplexing? Cost and no political will. Space isnt sexy enough when compared to something like peoples health or tax cuts.

ReputationRep:
    Nazi moon base.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why would it be perplexing? Cost and no political will. Space isnt sexy enough when compared to something like peoples health or tax cuts.
    true i guess but it seems weird that after the moonlanding, they went for space shuttles and space stations using less powerful machines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel_Coder)
    JFK is the only conspiracy theory I believe in. I guess you could count MK-Ultra (seriously nasty stuff) although that was actually found to be true.

So many things about JFK make absolutely no sense...

-The death of every witness who gave their name to the police after the shooting.

-The Zapruder film clearly showing that there's no way Oswald could've made the 'magic bullet' shot from his shooting angle.

-The man who pulls an umbrella (on a warm summers day) when the motorcade turns onto the street.

I could go on listing facts forever, I've believed (since I was about 15) that JFK was killed by factions within the US government, possibly colluding with the Mafia, Oswald was the scape goat. Sadly, no one will ever know what happened that day, anyone involved is most likely gone...
    And why was Oswald allowed to return so easily? A defector to the communists coming back with so few checks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.