Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I am interested in applying for graduate level courses in UK universities later this year/next year (for beginning in 2018), however I have been studying in the US under an F1 visa for the past four years (finishing it this year). On the fees website of each university it states than you need to be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK for the past three years to attain home status. Each year I have been abroad I have returned home to the UK (I was born and raised here) and obviously maintained my permanent residency and family ties, as well as receiving treatment on the NHS, etc. However, I can't find a clear answer as to whether or not I would receive home or overseas fees in this situation!

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_01)
    Hello there!

I am interested in applying for graduate level courses in UK universities later this year/next year (for beginning in 2018), however I have been studying in the US under an F1 visa for the past four years (finishing it this year). On the fees website of each university it states than you need to be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK for the past three years to attain home status. Each year I have been abroad I have returned home to the UK (I was born and raised here) and obviously maintained my permanent residency and family ties, as well as receiving treatment on the NHS, etc. However, I can't find a clear answer as to whether or not I would receive home or overseas fees in this situation!

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
    Studying abroad on a temporary visa would not change your residency - you'd be considered home for fees and support purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Studying abroad on a temporary visa would not change your residency - you'd be considered home for fees and support purposes.
    Yes but it's four years away from home in the US, on this it states that one must be 'ordinarily resident' for the three years prior to beginning, which I have not been? I'm so confused and stressed about this. I've e-mailed several universities but I've been told I can't get an answer because it's all individual and you need to submit an application first.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_01)
    Yes but it's four years away from home in the US, on this it states that one must be 'ordinarily resident' for the three years prior to beginning, which I have not been? I'm so confused and stressed about this. I've e-mailed several universities but I've been told I can't get an answer because it's all individual and you need to submit an application first.
    Ordinary residence is where you would ordinarily live if not for temporary visas/education/work abroad.

Temporary absence does not effect it. Temporary means non-permanent. An educational visit (even one lasting years) will be temporary.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt_01

This is correct, you can have a temporary break from living in the UK as long as it was temporary and you can prove this as may may ask you to show evidence of this. If you had emigrated this would not be temporary.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pamela SFE)
    Hi Matt_01

This is correct, you can have a temporary break from living in the UK as long as it was temporary and you can prove this as may may ask you to show evidence of this. If you had emigrated this would not be temporary.

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the response!(PQ as well). For evidence, would simply my US bachelors and/or a (would be) expired F1 visa be enough?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt_01

Yes, the visa, your bachelors would be great. We ask for as much information as possible, if you have any letters from the study provider with start and end dates this may help too. We look at these on a case by case basis.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.