Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm Transgender- is it safe for me to go to Poland? (Auschwitz & Krakow) Watch

Hi, I might be going on a school trip for A-level students at my school to visit Auschwitz and other nearby places like Krakow for 3 days (if you take relevant subjects), but honestly I'm very concerned for my safety as I'm FTM transgender and don't always pass atm because of my voice & height, and I've heard the Polish majority have some very bigoted views on LGBT rights and many LGBT people get harassed or beaten up in the street.
    I really want to go on this trip, but is it safe for me to go?

There's going to be under 5 students, plus a teacher (who I'm on very good terms with & is openly gay and very liberal) who are also going, so it's not like it's a large group anyway.

If I do choose to go, how should I deal with transphobic abuse or nasty looks? I was really looking forward to the trip before I thought about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caelanislame)
    Hi, I might be going on a school trip for A-level students at my school to visit Auschwitz and other nearby places like Krakow for 3 days (if you take relevant subjects), but honestly I'm very concerned for my safety as I'm FTM transgender and don't always pass atm because of my voice & height, and I've heard the Polish majority have some very bigoted views on LGBT rights and many LGBT people get harassed or beaten up in the street.

There's going to be under 5 students, plus a teacher (who I'm on very good terms with & is openly gay and very liberal) who are also going, so it's not like it's a large group anyway.

If I do choose to go, how should I deal with transphobic abuse or nasty looks? I was really looking forward to the trip before I thought about this
    They will probably not realise and if you're with a school group they will looks out for you.

ReputationRep:
    People will have their opinions on you as a transgender person and you will need to learn to accommodate these. Safe - probably yes. Enjoyable - possibly not. I'm sure you can cope with some funny looks, can't you?

ReputationRep:
    ''Polish people are backward and bigoted as a collective but I'm the victim here''

(Original post by Moura)
    They will probably not realise and if you're with a school group they will looks out for you.
    Thank you, I guess so. I think I'd only have to worry about ordering things myself or being separated from the group, as it is legal in Poland to refuse service on grounds of the patrons gender identity or sexuality. It's sad that I have to consider stuff like this just to go on a trip though

Why the check should anyone care/know unless you tell them?

ReputationRep:
      Thank you, I guess so. I think I'd only have to worry about ordering things myself or being separated from the group, as it is legal in Poland to refuse service on grounds of the patrons gender identity or sexuality. It's sad that I have to consider stuff like this just to go on a trip though
      Well I guess for now you just have to worry about other countries dealing with their own equality and discrimination problems and keep working towards improving those in your own country. At the end of the day while being refused service could be embarrassing it's not going to hurt you and it's unlikely to happen anyway.

(Original post by Moura)
      Well I guess for now you just have to worry about other countries dealing with their own equality and discrimination problems and keep working towards improving those in your own country. At the end of the day while being refused service could be embarrassing it's not going to hurt you and it's unlikely to happen anyway.
      True. Thanks!

(Original post by l'etranger)
      ''Polish people are backward and bigoted as a collective but I'm the victim here''
      The keyword is majority. I based this on results of official polls found on the LGBT rights section on the Poland Wikipedia page. The majority express disgust and do not accept gay or transsexual people, and it is legal to refuse service to people like me, just because of the way I look. I'm not a victim whatsoever, in fact, I'm trying to avoid being one by asking advice on what's safest for me to do. I just want to go on the trip and enjoy it, but I'm trying to figure out if that's safe for me to do so, so I don't have to be that annoying "I got BEATEN UP by facist pigs!!!!" sort of person. So yeah if you're not going to add anything constructive to the conversation just please don't bother

(Original post by Reality Check)
      People will have their opinions on you as a transgender person and you will need to learn to accommodate these. Safe - probably yes. Enjoyable - possibly not. I'm sure you can cope with some funny looks, can't you?
      Oh, I know. And I already have gotten many a funny look before, but to me there is a distinguishable difference between not agreeing with trans people for transitioning, and actually acting in a threatening or agressive manner in public towards them. Basically, I don't care if people don't like me- I just don't want to get beaten up.

Thanks for answering though

ReputationRep:
      Oh, I know. And I already have gotten many a funny look before, but to me there is a distinguishable difference between not agreeing with trans people for transitioning, and actually acting in a threatening or agressive manner in public towards them. Basically, I don't care if people don't like me- I just don't want to get beaten up.

Thanks for answering though
      I hope you don't get beaten up to!! I'm sure you won't - they're not totally uncivilised in Poland. Hope the trip is fine.

(Original post by Blackstarr)
      Why the check should anyone care/know unless you tell them?
      Because I don't pass as male all the time, I haven't started medically transitioning yet as I'm under 18, so people might spot me or think I'm a butch lesbian (which would give them a different reason to give me dirty looks).

Nice username btw!

ReputationRep:

I don't think anyone will really care that much. It's not like an Islamic country.

ReputationRep:
      Grow up.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by לזייןהאיסלאם)
      I don't think anyone will really care that much. It's not like an Islamic country.
      In the same way I disapprove of blanket statements regarding Polish people, I take the same dim view of such things directed at Muslims, people are individuals and should be regarded as such.

The keyword is majority. I based this on results of official polls found on the LGBT rights section on the Poland Wikipedia page. The majority express disgust and do not accept gay or transsexual people, and it is legal to refuse service to people like me, just because of the way I look. I'm not a victim whatsoever, in fact, I'm trying to avoid being one by asking advice on what's safest for me to do. I just want to go on the trip and enjoy it, but I'm trying to figure out if that's safe for me to do so, so I don't have to be that annoying "I got BEATEN UP by facist pigs!!!!" sort of person. So yeah if you're not going to add anything constructive to the conversation just please don't bother
      ''racism is ok because statistics''

In the same way I disapprove of blanket statements regarding Polish people, I take the same dim view of such things directed at Muslims, people are individuals and should be regarded as such.

''racism is ok because statistics''

Woooow I'm racist because using accurate statistics I have gathered that polish society isn't perfect? Majority, love. Majority. You can look up the statistics yourself, it's not a racist blanket term to say "the majority of polish people are like -" when literally the statistics say over 70% of polish people have very homophobic views. Stop being butt hurt and grow a pair, coming from a trans guy.

(Original post by לזייןהאיסלאם)
      That's true, it is all very relative. Like someone else said, I might get refused service and that's obviously humiliating and unfair but if that's the worst that could really happen, I think I'll go anyway. I didn't choose to be trans, but I can choose how to deal with transphobia. Thanks!
      • Very Important Poster

I think you will be fine, just dont go alone or get isolated or go to areas such as bars and nightclubs. Surely the visitor centres etc should be fine as they will be used to tourists. general shops and malls shouldnt be an issue as they will just want your money and you see that many people, then it would take them some time to figure it out. Surely its a lot harder than if you were M to F. You could just look tomboyish and if you still have long hair then tie it up and maybe wear a hat? Its still cold so you would need to be wrapped up.

Imo you should go it will help wit your studies and be an experience.
      I honestly doubt people will notice nor will they guess you are transgender ofc I have never seen you, but people are busy. If anyone did look at you and even if it was for transphobic reasons ( doubt it) then just carry on with confidence as though they werent there and avoid eye contact. That makes confrontation harder.Music and headphones are also an alternative, but id be shocked if there was any abuse tbh, just keep within your group. Do post back ince youve been with your experience.
      • Very Important Poster

That's true, it is all very relative. Like someone else said, I might get refused service and that's obviously humiliating and unfair but if that's the worst that could really happen, I think I'll go anyway. I didn't choose to be trans, but I can choose how to deal with transphobia. Thanks!
      Just to emphasise what you have said.

I honestly think you are worrying too much. If you stick to busy areas, then people wont notice or wont care.

If someone refuses you service, dont panic, just go to another shop or get served by someone else or get one of your group to pay. Dont panic or react and in that way the effect will be minimal. the most disruptive thing for you to do is get involved, start an argument, give them a reaction. What gender you are is not on peoples minds as said previously you wont really stand out, so there will be nothing to make an issue of. If you follow that approach, then you shuld be fine. If you are still worri then discuss it with your teacher or support worker.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.