Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not sure what to do, I feel like i've already ruined my life already. Watch

Hi TSR,
    I just want to make this post to get a little advice but to mainly just write stuff out to clear my mind.
    So I decided to not go to uni and do an apprenticeship.
    It pays very well for what it is and everyone loves to keep reminding me of how much of a great opportunity it is. This is the main reason why I can not talk to anyone around me.
    I find my apprenticeship boring. Now I dont mean generally, I mean I recently went to get checked out for depression because I believed that it really couldnt be that bad. All the subjects that I am studying have no meaning to me. I don't understand why I am even doing them. Everyday I hope that my car breaks down or I get stuck in traffic so I dont have to go in!
    Now the main problem starts where I was offered a place on this apprenticeship before my exams in college. At the time I thought that I had no more reason to try in college and have now got a lot worse grades than I could of.
    I am in my 2nd year now and I hate everything about it. My manager, the work environment, how far I have to travel etc. The worse thing is I feel like I can't complain, because compared to everyone else in my age range I have the perfect career. I get a free degree and a garenteed job at the end. But I just hate it.
    I'm not sure whether its the job or the area that I am working in. As I feel like I dont even want to do this kind of thing any more! I feel like I want to completely change career paths.
    I feel that if I continue doing this job then I will end up with depression. That isnt me stretching the truth, I genuinely feel like it will.
    I just do not know what I want to do in life, I have no purpose. The only things I would like to do are completely unattainable for someone like me.
    Because this job has given me so much it is such a huge risk to give it all up. I feel like I can't quit now because of how stuck in it I am. Its now just a circle.

Not sure if this is making much sense but I will edit this when I am thinking more rational. I am keeping things vague like my company and grades etc so that it wont be tracked back to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi TSR,
    I just want to make this post to get a little advice but to mainly just write stuff out to clear my mind.
    So I decided to not go to uni and do an apprenticeship.
    It pays very well for what it is and everyone loves to keep reminding me of how much of a great opportunity it is. This is the main reason why I can not talk to anyone around me.
    I find my apprenticeship boring. Now I dont mean generally, I mean I recently went to get checked out for depression because I believed that it really couldnt be that bad. All the subjects that I am studying have no meaning to me. I don't understand why I am even doing them. Everyday I hope that my car breaks down or I get stuck in traffic so I dont have to go in!
    Now the main problem starts where I was offered a place on this apprenticeship before my exams in college. At the time I thought that I had no more reason to try in college and have now got a lot worse grades than I could of.
    I am in my 2nd year now and I hate everything about it. My manager, the work environment, how far I have to travel etc. The worse thing is I feel like I can't complain, because compared to everyone else in my age range I have the perfect career. I get a free degree and a garenteed job at the end. But I just hate it.
    I'm not sure whether its the job or the area that I am working in. As I feel like I dont even want to do this kind of thing any more! I feel like I want to completely change career paths.
    I feel that if I continue doing this job then I will end up with depression. That isnt me stretching the truth, I genuinely feel like it will.
    I just do not know what I want to do in life, I have no purpose. The only things I would like to do are completely unattainable for someone like me.
    Because this job has given me so much it is such a huge risk to give it all up. I feel like I can't quit now because of how stuck in it I am. Its now just a circle.

Not sure if this is making much sense but I will edit this when I am thinking more rational. I am keeping things vague like my company and grades etc so that it wont be tracked back to me.
    It's never too late to go to university or to try again with a-levels. My mum knew someone at university who was 40 doing his undergraduate degree!
    If you don't enjoy your apprenticeship quit and do something you will like. You're still young. Maybe do a gap year, continue your apprenticeship for awhile and save to travel, could be great for your mental health.
    Find something you find fulfilling, I am considering changing my degree from history to history and geography so I can educate people on the environment and global warming. It would be pretty worthwhile for me.
    But honestly, stop thinking you've ruined your life, there's always something you can do to make things better.
    Good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You have to take control of your life and start thinking sensibly. Being miserable where you are, but not having any idea where you want to go is a recipe for unhappiness. You need to get a grip and realise that you are much luckier than most to be in a relatively well paid training position that will lead to a career. So stop whinging about it and set your mind to a) deciding what you do want to do with your life, b) what reasonable, practical steps you are prepared to take to get there. Realise that isn't going to happen in a weekend, it's likely to take a year or more to work everything out, and as you've learnt already, it's probably better to finish something you've started and get the qualification, than slack off and end up with nothing useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.