Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite films based on historical events? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Django Unchained

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhaleesiStorm)
    The Book Thief is based on the Nazis burning literature they deemed non-Nazi or written by people that the Nazis basically didn't like. It's not an actual event but on events that occurred at that time.
    I know. I've read the book. It's not based on historical events except that it took place in a non-fictional time and place. All non-fantasy books would be based on historical events by that standard.

ReputationRep:
    300 and Inglorious Basterds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William2813)
    Braveheart deserves a mention!
    Its a great film but the historical inaccuracies are unbelievable!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Downfall

ReputationRep:
    I like "Downfall", and also a TV film called 'Conspiracy' with Kenneth Branagh and Stanley Tucci playing brilliantly. Seem appropriate choices on Holocaust Memorial Day.

ReputationRep:
    Shrek

ReputationRep:
    Life is beautiful/ La vita è Bella

Italian film about the holocaust that's actually a comedy; it sounds like nonsense but it works really well.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATE99)
    The other Boleyn girl
    The book thief
    Which The Other Boleyn Girl? The Hollywood version is so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I'm very much a fan of the war films like the Battle of Britain & The Longest Day. Absolute classics.
    Have you seen Reach for the Sky? It's very good.

ReputationRep:
    The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, starring Bette Davis as Queen Elizabeth I and Errol Flynn as the Earl of Essex, who Elizabeth was in love with. Bette Davis was such a great actress in every role she played. But as the queen she was unforgettable. The Titanic film The Longest Night [1958] is superb and way better than that "other" one. I love old films, and I know there will be around twenty others, but i'm cold and hungry and can't think of any more off the top of my head. Will come back to this though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I found Titanic to be boring. :sadnod:

Michael Collins is a favourite :awesome:
    Michael Collins is great; but personally I think In The Name of The Father is better, if we are talking about Irish political films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobynEMcl)
    Its a great film but the historical inaccuracies are unbelievable!
    That is very true! I remember reading that many Scottish people hate the movie, how accurate that is I'm unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I'm very much a fan of the war films like the Battle of Britain & The Longest Day. Absolute classics.
    What about A Bridge Too Far? Based on the failure that was Operation Market Garden during WW2.

By far one of my favourite historical films, remember watching it when i was younger and have always loved re-watching it now and then.

I highly recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Have you seen Reach for the Sky? It's very good.
    That's the Douglas Barder film in black & with isn't it? I'm not sure I've seen all of it but if so I've definitely seen parts of it when I was quite young.

(Original post by AHappyTeddybear)
    What about A Bridge Too Far? Based on the failure that was Operation Market Garden during WW2.

By far one of my favourite historical films, remember watching it when i was younger and have always loved re-watching it now and then.

I highly recommend it!
    I've got it on DVD & I agree that it's an excellent film. There's a few famous war films I haven't seen yet like Deer Hunter, Cockelshell Heros & surprisingly the Bridge Over the River Kwai (I'm sure I've seen bits of it but not the whole film).

ReputationRep:
    Enemy at the gates is my favourite

ReputationRep:
    valkyrie

ReputationRep:
    Not films but Band of Brothers and The Pacific are both awesome series.

I think Zulu and The Great Escape top the pile when it comes to old classic war films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William2813)
    That is very true! I remember reading that many Scottish people hate the movie, how accurate that is I'm unsure.
    The only accurate bit is that William Wallace fought the English at Stirling Bridge, that's just about it. He never had a wife, we don't know who his father was, or how tall. There's a lot in the film romanticised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhaleesiStorm)
    The only accurate bit is that William Wallace fought the English at Stirling Bridge, that's just about it. He never had a wife, we don't know who his father was, or how tall. There's a lot in the film romanticised.
    I suppose the added content was to make it a commercial success. They needed it for such a long film but for those who know their history it's not as great to watch

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.