Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's a Level psychology like? And does it require a lot of maths? Could you also give examples of what topics you do in it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadevchristine)
    What's a Level psychology like? And does it require a lot of maths? Could you also give examples of what topics you do in it?

Thanks
    I'm currently studying A2 Psychology and I do enjoy it very much. It's essentially going through explanations/theories and research and then evaluating them. In the exam, questions will range from simple multiple choice questions to extended writing essay questions. Also, exam boards have put an extra emphasis on application for the new spec; this is applying your psychological knowledge to a given scenario. You will come across the mathematical side when going over research methods. However, they are really simple as they often ask about the mean ect as well as testing your graphical skills. So, i would suggest that a B/C in GCSE maths will make you more then capable in tackling the mathematical side of psychology. I'm doing the new linear AQA spec and have gone over topics such as Attachment, Social influence (Obedience, conformity ect) as well Relationships.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing A2 psychology on the AQA exam board. It doesn't involve too much maths (which I'm thankful for as I'm rubbish at maths!), but I'm not sure what it's like for other exam boards? The topics I've done are psychopathology, attachment, social influence, memory, forensic psychology, biopsychology, schizophrenia and relationships! We also have to do research methods (which maths is part of), approaches in psychology and issues and debates! Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadevchristine)

Thanks
    Hi, I'm currently in Year 12 studying Psychology so I've only been studying it for 4/5 months.

I really like Psychology! It is very interesting and I always find myself applying what I've learnt to real life! I'm even considering studying post Sixth Form which I never thought I'd do. The topics I've studied since September are: Approaches, Memory and Social Influence (+ bits of Research Methods). I'm on the AQA exam board btw which I feel like most Psych students are on...

Something I didn't even know about Psychology before Year 12 is evaluation - It's basically you explaining the advantages and disadvantages of a particular idea/concept. This is a massive part of the course, and you basically have to evaluate every double page spread in the textbook. Evaluation is difficult at first but I'm getting the hang of it now.

I personally don't find the subject content in Psychology that hard, there's just a LOT of content lol. Our teacher is super pushy aswell so we get lots of work and exams every week, and she also gets us to do presentations etc. but most teachers aren't like this lmao!

Maths in Psychology isn't really that hard. We've done graphs, bar charts, looking at statistics, mean/mode/median, standard deviation etc. but it's all very easy tbh so don't worry about the Maths.

For GCSEs just aim for solid grades in English, Maths and Sciences and you'll be fine with Psychology.

If you have any questions, just ask me/pm me.

Good luck with your GCSEs! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    In need of psychology students to help me out with my research project.

Really quick, only 9 questions.
    Much appreciated.
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/GPVH96Y

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.