Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And if so, how?

I'm currently taking BSc Neuroscience at UCL, and was considering what I should do during my summer break.

Is this a good year to try to get into a research lab? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Another problem is that I'm not sure whether I'll have accommodation here for the entire summer, and don't live in London, which would make it harder to commit.

Has anyone here in the sciences gotten experience in the first year? Is it worth it, and how did you do it?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Getting some experience in first year is a good idea, but not essential.

For research, approach some of the teaching staff on your course to see if they any studies running over the summer you can help with. I know for me and quite a few on my course (UCL psychology) that's how we got experience. I joined the IoN for mine, something I'm sure you would benefit from.

Other than that, volunteering (or if possible working) as a HCA on a neuro-rehab ward or something could also be good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.