Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's this cute guy I'm friends with and the last time I saw him (September) he lent me a book. We've been catching up via Facebook Messenger over the past few days and he's asked if I read his book. I... erm... have not With my other friends I'd just tell the truth but this particular gentleman is too cute to disappoint. WHAT DO?!?!?!

EDIT: inb4 'You don't think your other friends are cute?! ' On the contrary, they're all errr peng/reem/piff/dank/smexii, or whatever word you kids use these days

ReputationRep:
    Research a small summary of the book and read it. Say you've skimmed over it and just say the summary you've read... or tell him the truth and ask him to help you get into the book.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need an excuse? Just say you haven't read it. If it mattered that much to you then you'd have read the book, rather than not reading it and now looking for an excuse to lie rather than just tell the truth.

Why have you not read the book? Why are you trying to come up with an excuse now rather than reading the book?

No excuse you use will possibly sound genuine. Nobody has a good reason for not reading a book for 4 months. Just tell the truth, that's far better than making up some obvious lie that would possibly disappoint him more.

ReputationRep:
    would be a bit awkward if he starts talking about a certain character or event in the book so personally i'd think it'd be better to admit you havent yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zwastix)
    Research a small summary of the book and read it. Say you've skimmed over it and just say the summary you've read... or tell him the truth and ask him to help you get into the book.
    Good advice, thanksies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Why do you need an excuse? Just say you haven't read it. If it mattered that much to you then you'd have read the book, rather than not reading it and now looking for an excuse to lie rather than just tell the truth.

Why have you not read the book? Why are you trying to come up with an excuse now rather than reading the book?

No excuse you use will possibly sound genuine. Nobody has a good reason for not reading a book for 4 months. Just tell the truth, that's far better than making up some obvious lie that would possibly disappoint him more.
    You're right. D'ya reckon a woman having a catastrophically short attention span is a turn-off (that's the excuse)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raaachek)
    You're right. D'ya reckon a woman having a catastrophically short attention span is a turn-off (that's the excuse)?
    It's difficult to say. For some it might be and others won't care. A short attention span really just signifies that you aren't finding things interesting enough to pay attention.

To say you didn't read the book because you have a short attention span is effectively saying you tried but found it too boring. Or that you found it boring before you even tried. That sort of approach to things is (to me) more of a turn off than having a short attention span. It suggests you'd rather use your short attention span as an excuse to not do something rather than try to better yourself or find a way around the problem. It almost suggests a lack of drive and motivation.

Of course this is entirely my interpretation based on a few sentences from a complete stranger. I'd like to think that if someone who knows you gave you a book to read they would actually think you would read it. To not read it after putting that trust in you would suck. But then if I were just a friend I doubt I'd think much of it. If i'd given them the book and liked them then I'd be disheartened by them not reading it, after I'd gone to the effort and thought they'd be interested.

This is of course far more complex than it needs to be and everybody will react differently. What you have though is 2 problems. You like the guy. He gave you a book that you didn't read. If I let someone borrow a book because I thought they'd read it and for 4 months they didn't because of a short attention span then I can't say I'd think very highly of them. Looking for excuses does not improve your chances with this boy, which is ultimately what this is about. Telling the truth and saying you didn't put the effort in but have actually started reading will do far more good.

And if you really aren't interested in the book you give it back to the guy, apologise for holding onto it for so long and say that it isn't really your thing.

ReputationRep:
    There's this cute guy I'm friends with and the last time I saw him (September) he lent me a book. We've been catching up via Facebook Messenger over the past few days and he's asked if I read his book. I... erm... have not With my other friends I'd just tell the truth but this particular gentleman is too cute to disappoint. WHAT DO?!?!?!

EDIT: inb4 'You don't think your other friends are cute?! ' On the contrary, they're all errr peng/reem/piff/dank/smexii, or whatever word you kids use these days
    Just look up the plot of the book online and have a quick skim through it. Keep chatting to him and maybe something will happen. You need to impress him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It's difficult to say. For some it might be and others won't care. A short attention span really just signifies that you aren't finding things interesting enough to pay attention.

To say you didn't read the book because you have a short attention span is effectively saying you tried but found it too boring. Or that you found it boring before you even tried. That sort of approach to things is (to me) more of a turn off than having a short attention span. It suggests you'd rather use your short attention span as an excuse to not do something rather than try to better yourself or find a way around the problem. It almost suggests a lack of drive and motivation.

Of course this is entirely my interpretation based on a few sentences from a complete stranger. I'd like to think that if someone who knows you gave you a book to read they would actually think you would read it. To not read it after putting that trust in you would suck. But then if I were just a friend I doubt I'd think much of it. If i'd given them the book and liked them then I'd be disheartened by them not reading it, after I'd gone to the effort and thought they'd be interested.

This is of course far more complex than it needs to be and everybody will react differently. What you have though is 2 problems. You like the guy. He gave you a book that you didn't read. If I let someone borrow a book because I thought they'd read it and for 4 months they didn't because of a short attention span then I can't say I'd think very highly of them. Looking for excuses does not improve your chances with this boy, which is ultimately what this is about. Telling the truth and saying you didn't put the effort in but have actually started reading will do far more good.

And if you really aren't interested in the book you give it back to the guy, apologise for holding onto it for so long and say that it isn't really your thing.
    Oh ma friggin' days: did not expect such a detailed response! You've taught me more than I think you realise! Thanks, Acsel :eek4::excited: I think I'll heed your advice to come clean and say I haven't read it yet but have started it. I s'pose disappointment will likely follow but at least a delayed start is better than no start at all *Brandishes reading glasses*

ReputationRep:
    Oh ma friggin' days: did not expect such a detailed response! You've taught me more than I think you realise! Thanks, Acsel :eek4::excited: I think I'll heed your advice to come clean and say I haven't read it yet but have started it. I s'pose disappointment will likely follow but at least a delayed start is better than no start at all *Brandishes reading glasses*
    Obviously take it all with a pinch of salt, that's just my perspective and others may see it completely differently. It just doesn't seem like it's worth making a big deal out of not reading a book, especially if someone you like is involved. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.