Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

As a recent IT graduate, I wanted to create a thread on TSR whereby fellow students, graduate and employees working within the IT industry can contribute towards this thread. I want this thread to highlight all the necessary IT skills and programming languages that are in hot demand at the moment and what qualifications are useful to get.

Based on my job search prior to my temporary job it has become apparent that C# .NET, and web development tools and languages like jQuery are in hot demand. C++ surprisingly is not in so much demand whilst Java has some demand.

Anyways, feel free to add and comment to this thread

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunglife)
    Hi,
    Based on my job search prior to my temporary job it has become apparent that C# .NET, and web development tools and languages like jQuery are in hot demand. C++ surprisingly is not in so much demand whilst Java has some demand.
    Good info!

Anyone who knows C++ should be able to pick up C# very quickly. The C# development environment is free to download from visualstudio.com and there are many tutorials and references on the internet.

T3
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info.

JavaScript seems to be in good demand right now as well as C#, Java as you stated.

I would also like to add for graduates who are struggling to get into work, you can learn and then use Treehouse's C#, Java, Python projects as your own in your portfolio as well as Udacity's and Free-code-camp's projects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To get into junior Java roles:

Writing Android mobile apps will attract more attention when applying for Java jobs. Android is Java centric and the advantage of this is an employer can download and test the apps straight away on their mobiles device to form an opinion about your skill.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.