OCR GCSE History B Controlled Assessment help

Watch
Dewpider
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to do well in my controlled assessment. Mine is on: 'The USA, 1919-1941' I really need an A* in this so any advice is appreciated.
Dewpider
Rep:
?
BUMP! I appreciate all help
tennysons_maud
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Focus on the sources. Most of the marks are for how you deal with them. Good essay structure, balanced and definite conclusion, usage of the key terms detailed in the mark scheme . . .

I did exactly the same assessment btw - OCR, History B, the USA.
Dewpider
Rep:
?
BUMP! My question is "How far was the New Deal a failure?" any specific tips for this question? My teacher is terrible and he just let us loose onto the controlled assessment. We had no advice on how to annotate or make notes, no hint as to what direction we should take either. But it's up to me to take manners into my own hands and get the grade I want. Thank you
li_n
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dewpider)
Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to do well in my controlled assessment. Mine is on: 'The USA, 1919-1941' I really need an A* in this so any advice is appreciated.
It all comes down to the basics, no matter how good you are analytically. Insure you refer back to the question in the majority of the points " Source B is useful for the how _____ contributed to _____ because.....". and most importantly make sure you don't make any invalid points that don't actually back link to the question, sounds stupid but it's so easily done under time-controlled pressure and no matter how good the content of it, it's a total waste of time if it doesn't actually answer the question...

. Planning briefly beforehand is a great way of gathering your thoughts too, not just for English eh?.

Use quotes thoroughly and make sure you justify how the quote supports your argument! Of course,

Don't forget your conclusion too, only has to be 2 or 3 sentences in GCSE history coursework but it's so important, Just briefly sum up which source your think is the most useful for your study and compare why it's superior to the other sources etc.

So brief I do apologize but all the best for your course work. You'll get such a sense of achievement when it's done and some of your GCSE will be in the bag!! You'll be wonderful, good luck )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads