Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR GCSE History B Controlled Assessment help Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to do well in my controlled assessment. Mine is on: 'The USA, 1919-1941' I really need an A* in this so any advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP! I appreciate all help

ReputationRep:
    Focus on the sources. Most of the marks are for how you deal with them. Good essay structure, balanced and definite conclusion, usage of the key terms detailed in the mark scheme . . .

I did exactly the same assessment btw - OCR, History B, the USA.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP! My question is "How far was the New Deal a failure?" any specific tips for this question? My teacher is terrible and he just let us loose onto the controlled assessment. We had no advice on how to annotate or make notes, no hint as to what direction we should take either. But it's up to me to take manners into my own hands and get the grade I want. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dewpider)
    Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to do well in my controlled assessment. Mine is on: 'The USA, 1919-1941' I really need an A* in this so any advice is appreciated.
    It all comes down to the basics, no matter how good you are analytically. Insure you refer back to the question in the majority of the points " Source B is useful for the how _____ contributed to _____ because.....". and most importantly make sure you don't make any invalid points that don't actually back link to the question, sounds stupid but it's so easily done under time-controlled pressure and no matter how good the content of it, it's a total waste of time if it doesn't actually answer the question...

. Planning briefly beforehand is a great way of gathering your thoughts too, not just for English eh?.

Use quotes thoroughly and make sure you justify how the quote supports your argument! Of course,

Don't forget your conclusion too, only has to be 2 or 3 sentences in GCSE history coursework but it's so important, Just briefly sum up which source your think is the most useful for your study and compare why it's superior to the other sources etc.

So brief I do apologize but all the best for your course work. You'll get such a sense of achievement when it's done and some of your GCSE will be in the bag!! You'll be wonderful, good luck )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.