The Student Room Group

I don't want to fail maths

We just had out mock exams for GCSEs and I felt like maths were my worst exams.I'm on a grade 4 now which is a C/D and targeted a 6(B) but I don't think I'll make that.If I don't get a grade 6 I won't be able to do the courses I want at A Level.We're doing the new 9-1 GCSE maths and they're much tougher than before.We have more maths mocks in March and I want to improve but I don't know how.I tried past papers running up to the January mocks but they didn't seem to improve my confidence so I don't know what else to try.Are there any resources,tips,advice or revision methods for how to improve my maths grade maybe by March but certainly by May/June for the real thing.
Original post by Od.xiv
We just had out mock exams for GCSEs and I felt like maths were my worst exams.I'm on a grade 4 now which is a C/D and targeted a 6(B) but I don't think I'll make that.If I don't get a grade 6 I won't be able to do the courses I want at A Level.We're doing the new 9-1 GCSE maths and they're much tougher than before.We have more maths mocks in March and I want to improve but I don't know how.I tried past papers running up to the January mocks but they didn't seem to improve my confidence so I don't know what else to try.Are there any resources,tips,advice or revision methods for how to improve my maths grade maybe by March but certainly by May/June for the real thing.

just keep practising! That's the key to getting good grades, especially in maths. Try looking at exam past paper answer specs as you can see what type of calculations are required. Also, watch YouTube channels such as HegartyMaths etc as they will help you understand the concepts better.
Practice makes perfect.

This saying is especially true for maths. The more you put mathematical ideas into practice, the better you'll understand them.

Also, just try to stay relaxed. Keep a cool head and, instead of neglecting your other subjects, make a sensible plan to work around.

Of course, there are many online resources that are available to you (youtube channels for instance). And there's also the Khan Academy.
Reply 3
Nice looking back at this in Year 12 considering I ended up getting a 7(A) in my Maths GCSE thankfully!

Quick Reply

Latest