Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Postgraduate art history help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a bit of a strange question but not sure where to start.

In school, I was always the clever kid, really good at writing, reading, art and used to being top of the class without really trying.

When I studied my art degree I went through some really tough personal circumstances that broke me down and made me unable to focus. I scraped a 3rd, after postponing my last year. I always knew I could do better and it wasn't representative of my true ability.

Wondering if I still had it in me and feeling regretful I didn't reach my academic goals, I contacted a tutor from a Russel group university regarding my possible entry into a masters in art history. I was given an essay to write, I did, the tutor was impressed and said I could join the course.

While I was saving up to do my masters and to get my head back into studying again, I decided to take a postgraduate certificate in art history from the open university. I'm halfway through it right now. I'm working alongside it.

I enjoy the subject but I'm getting bad marks- well, passes. I wanted to get into education again because I wanted to use my brain as before, to learn and get high marks and remind myself my intellect is still there, and to reach my dream of getting a masters in art history, my favourite subject. But now I'm really struggling and stressed. I feel like I imagined how good I was at studying in the past, or that I was just a kid and school doesn't count, that I've lost it now. Then I remember the Russell group tutor let me in with a third class and gave me some glowing remarks and I just am not sure if I do have the ability but am channeling it in the wrong way, that I've missed out on some things I should've learnt from my degree that would have helped me transition into postgraduate studies.

Any advice at all? My confidence is so low I'm on the verge of quitting, but then sometimes I think I can do it if I can figure out where I'm going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namik7)
    I think this is a bit of a strange question but not sure where to start.

In school, I was always the clever kid, really good at writing, reading, art and used to being top of the class without really trying.

When I studied my art degree I went through some really tough personal circumstances that broke me down and made me unable to focus. I scraped a 3rd, after postponing my last year. I always knew I could do better and it wasn't representative of my true ability.

Wondering if I still had it in me and feeling regretful I didn't reach my academic goals, I contacted a tutor from a Russel group university regarding my possible entry into a masters in art history. I was given an essay to write, I did, the tutor was impressed and said I could join the course.

While I was saving up to do my masters and to get my head back into studying again, I decided to take a postgraduate certificate in art history from the open university. I'm halfway through it right now. I'm working alongside it.

I enjoy the subject but I'm getting bad marks- well, passes. I wanted to get into education again because I wanted to use my brain as before, to learn and get high marks and remind myself my intellect is still there, and to reach my dream of getting a masters in art history, my favourite subject. But now I'm really struggling and stressed. I feel like I imagined how good I was at studying in the past, or that I was just a kid and school doesn't count, that I've lost it now. Then I remember the Russell group tutor let me in with a third class and gave me some glowing remarks and I just am not sure if I do have the ability but am channeling it in the wrong way, that I've missed out on some things I should've learnt from my degree that would have helped me transition into postgraduate studies.

Any advice at all? My confidence is so low I'm on the verge of quitting, but then sometimes I think I can do it if I can figure out where I'm going wrong.
    To be getting passes at a pgcert that is distance learning is promising because you're meeting the pass mark and with training in your academic writing (phrasing, structure, referencing etc) there is scope for improvement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.