The Student Room Group

Will my GCSEs hold me back in life?

Hi all,

I know you will be thinking.. "Ash, aren't you at Uni?" and yes I am. But I was wondering if my GCSEs will hold me back in any way for the future. It worries me sometimes as I don't want to join the large percentage of Autistic people that are unemployed leeches.

I would like to become a Biomedical Scientist or Biology teacher when I graduate.

My GCSEs:

English Language: A
English Literature: A
Mathematics: B
History: A
Geography: A
French: A
Religious Studies: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A
Physics: A

Unfortunately, I've had a lot of difficulty with Mathematics throughout my life due to unfortunately timed circumstances where I've missed dozens of maths lessons from Primary school through to Highschool.

I understand that there are things in life where doors have now been shut due to my GCSE maths grade, but those things (medicine, engineering, physics etc) aren't of any interest to me anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AshEntropy
Hi all,

I know you will be thinking.. "Ash, aren't you at Uni?" and yes I am. But I was wondering if my GCSEs will hold me back in any way for the future. It worries me sometimes as I don't want to join the large percentage of Autistic people that are unemployed leeches.

I would like to become a Biomedical Scientist or Biology teacher when I graduate.

My GCSEs:

Unfortunately, I've had a lot of difficulty with Mathematics throughout my life due to unfortunately timed circumstances where I've missed dozens of maths lessons from Primary school through to Highschool.

I understand that there are things in life where doors have now been shut due to my GCSE maths grade, but those things (medicine, engineering, physics etc) aren't of any interest to me anyway.

What are you talking about????:smile: Those are very good results and as an A* in Maths is only necessary for medicine and all; you should be fine!
Not sure if this is serious.

Those grades are amazing. No it won't hold you back.
Hi all,

My GCSEs:

Your GCSEs are very good. Mine are a lot worse and I have an offer to go to Cambridge University, so therefore my GCSEs aren't holding me back. I want to be a History academic. I only got a C in GCSE Maths. You want to be a Biology teacher or a Biomedical scientist, and those are both good careers, and I don't think that your GCSEs are going to hold you back since you have only got one B grade. As well as this, GCSEs aren't that valuable compared to a degree or A-Levels, as long as they satisfy any requirements. I do not see why your GCSEs would hold you back in this respect. Best of luck.
This B will lead to you not being able to find any work. How could an employer even consider you since you only got 9 A/ A*s?

No, seriously, what kind of question is that? You're already at uni, nobody will care for your GCSEs.
Reply 5
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
What are you talking about????:smile: Those are very good results and as an A* in Maths is only necessary for medicine and all; you should be fine!

Original post by Kholmes1
Not sure if this is serious.

Those grades are amazing. No it won't hold you back.

It's mathematics that had me worried the most, as I know a lot of employers are getting suspicious of just how capable people that got a B in GCSE maths are in maths.

Original post by SteamboatMickey
Your GCSEs are very good. Mine are a lot worse and I have an offer to go to Cambridge University, so therefore my GCSEs aren't holding me back. I want to be a History academic. I only got a C in GCSE Maths. You want to be a Biology teacher or a Biomedical scientist, and those are both good careers, and I don't think that your GCSEs are going to hold you back since you have only got one B grade. As well as this, GCSEs aren't that valuable compared to a degree or A-Levels, as long as they satisfy any requirements. I do not see why your GCSEs would hold you back in this respect. Best of luck.

Thank you, I just worry a lot about how an employer would perceive the Maths grade and the fact that I only got an A* in Biology and not Chemistry too.

Original post by GermanIRhopeful
This B will lead to you not being able to find any work. How could an employer even consider you since you only got 9 A/ A*s?

No, seriously, what kind of question is that? You're already at uni, nobody will care for your GCSEs.

I thought you were being serious until I read the line below ! I know that it sounds farfetched of me but I know how maths is highly regarded by employers and I was worried they would see me as mathematically illiterate
Thank you, I just worry a lot about how an employer would perceive the Maths grade and the fact that I only got an A* in Biology and not Chemistry too.

If you can make up for it with work experience, a good degree and good A-Levels I don't think your GCSE Maths grade will hold you back.
Hi all,

My GCSEs:

Brag post?

You have nothing to worry about mate, you did 10x better than me lol
Reply 8
Original post by SteamboatMickey
If you can make up for it with work experience

I'm glad that you mentioned that, as I need to sort of work experience in a school! I'm in my 1st Year at university and if I don't get things sorted out early I'll panic
Reply 9
Original post by Kravence
Brag post?

You have nothing to worry about mate, you did 10x better than me lol

I promise that I'm not trying to brag - I see people on here that completely obliterate me in terms of GCSE grades ranging from 3-12A*s across the board. I genuinely worry about my GCSE grades as I know how fierce the competition is when I graduate from uni.
I promise that I'm not trying to brag - I see people on here that completely obliterate me in terms of GCSE grades ranging from 3-12A*s across the board. I genuinely worry about my GCSE grades as I know how fierce the competition is when I graduate from uni.

I'm 100% sure you will get employed assuming you do well at uni.

Try make contacts, get work experience and build charisma as that will probably well you more
You didn't get 13A*s

you are doomed for life
Reply 12
Original post by Kravence
charisma

That's one thing that I know for a fact definitely does not come naturally to me, so I've spent all my life trying to become more charismatic and friendly ! I'm definitely going to try and make contacts without being too pushy about it
Reply 13
Original post by Pikachū
You didn't get 13A*s

you are doomed for life

Hahahah oh Pikachu it's not the A* numbers that I worry about, it's the Maths and the lack of A*s in the sciences (except Biology) :P
Honestly, I'm sure that once you graduate from uni employers only really look at your degree and a-levels... Going on something you took when you were 16 isn't very reliable, relax:tongue:
Hahahah oh Pikachu it's not the A* numbers that I worry about, it's the Maths and the lack of A*s in the sciences (except Biology) :P

Unless you're trying for something ultra competitive like investment banking it will have no relevance whatsoever. Even the top accounting/audit firms have a minimum req of B in maths/english which you have.

How were your A-levels?
Reply 16
Original post by thebananawoman
Going on something you took when you were 16 isn't very reliable,

Even in high-skilled work like Biomedical Science?
This is the worst post ever made on this website and your GCSEs are ****, good luck, this is your future though:

I don't want to join the large percentage of Autistic people that are unemployed leeches.

:rolleyes:
That awkward moment when op has better gcses than you..

Only slightly better than mine
This thread is pretty much like when a pretty girl posts a picture and says omg i'm so ugly please don't insult and call me ugly thanks
And then has all her friends saying omg you aren't ugly youre so hot
Get a life
Getting c's in gcse's and b in anything you want to study further in a level is the bare minimum so dont cry when u have so many a's

Quick Reply

Latest