Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    Unless you're trying for something ultra competitive like investment banking it will have no relevance whatsoever. Even the top accounting/audit firms have a minimum req of B in maths/english which you have.

How were your A-levels?
    Oh hahaha I'm definitely not cut out for investment banking so that's never going to be a problem ! My AS Level year went perfectly fine:

AS:

Biology: A
    Chemistry: C
    Geography: A
    History: B

But then in my second year of A Levels, a lot of awful things happened that just knocked me off route (Granddad dying, Ulcerative Colitis showing itself, leaving home urgently due to domestic violence). My University allowed me onto the course due to Extenuating Circumstances and they have paid for me to Resit Chemistry at my old sixth form college.

A2:

Geography: B
    Chemistry: E

So thankfully I am resitting Chemistry and since a lot of my university modules revolve around Chemistry, it's very nice to revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Even in high-skilled work like Biomedical Science?
    I definitely think so, it's not like what you did at GCSE has much relevance now. I didn't get all A*s at GCSE either and I want to go into a similar field, and I'm finding that as long as you keep moving on up at every stage through hard work, you eventually catch up with those people who you saw as much smarter than you back in the days of GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    That's one thing that I know for a fact definitely does not come naturally to me, so I've spent all my life trying to become more charismatic and friendly ! I'm definitely going to try and make contacts without being too pushy about it
    Same here lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    This is the worst post ever made on this website and your GCSEs are ****, good luck, this is your future though: :rolleyes:
    Are they really that bad..?
    And that comment about a large proportion of Autistic people not working is sadly true. I know my word isn't enough so I'm going to find the evidence of it but it might take me a while I don't remember the website I found it on

(Original post by SuperHuman98)
    That awkward moment when op has better gcses than you..
    Only slightly better than mine
    Please don't see this as a GCSE Comparison thread, it's about my maths grade and the competition I face when I graduate

(Original post by BashCrash)
    This thread is pretty much like when a pretty girl posts a picture and says omg i'm so ugly please don't insult and call me ugly thanks
    And then has all her friends saying omg you aren't ugly youre so hot
    Get a life
    Getting c's in gcse's and b in anything you want to study further in a level is the bare minimum so dont cry when u have so many a's
    Again, it's more about maths and the competition faced after graduation

(Original post by thebananawoman)
    I definitely think so, it's not like what you did at GCSE has much relevance now. I didn't get all A*s at GCSE either and I want to go into a similar field, and I'm finding that as long as you keep moving on up at every stage through hard work, you eventually catch up with those people who you saw as much smarter than you back in the days of GCSEs
    I'll try my best to catch up but things are going quite hard!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh hahaha I'm definitely not cut out for investment banking so that's never going to be a problem ! My AS Level year went perfectly fine:

AS:

Chemistry: C
    Geography: A
    History: B

But then in my second year of A Levels, a lot of awful things happened that just knocked me off route (Granddad dying, Ulcerative Colitis showing itself, leaving home urgently due to domestic violence). My University allowed me onto the course due to Extenuating Circumstances and they have paid for me to Resit Chemistry at my old sixth form college.

A2:

Geography: B
    Chemistry: E

So thankfully I am resitting Chemistry and since a lot of my university modules revolve around Chemistry, it's very nice to revise.
    The most I've seen for A-level is 320 Ucas points which I think is equivalent to ABB. As long as you can get B for chemistry you'd be in for 99.9% of grad jobs.

ReputationRep:
    And that comment about a large proportion of Autistic people not working is sadly true. I know my word isn't enough so I'm going to find the evidence of it but it might take me a while I don't remember the website I found it on

Please don't see this as a GCSE Comparison thread, it's about my maths grade and the competition I face when I graduate

Again, it's more about maths and the competition faced after graduation

I'll try my best to catch up but things are going quite hard!
    I'm sure you'll be fine! Just don't doubt yourself becuase then you'll lose motivation
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Surely you'd be intelligent enough to know that your GCSEs wouldn't hold you down? If you're not then I suppose unemployment suits you. :dontknow:

How does it matter though...

You don't have to be bum buddies with the rest of the unemployed you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Your GCSEs are very good. Mine are a lot worse and I have an offer to go to Cambridge University, so therefore my GCSEs aren't holding me back. I want to be a History academic. I only got a C in GCSE Maths. You want to be a Biology teacher or a Biomedical scientist, and those are both good careers, and I don't think that your GCSEs are going to hold you back since you have only got one B grade. As well as this, GCSEs aren't that valuable compared to a degree or A-Levels, as long as they satisfy any requirements. I do not see why your GCSEs would hold you back in this respect. Best of luck.
    Mind me asking what your GCSE's were and what you got at AS?

ReputationRep:
    ...is this a troll?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Mind me asking what your GCSE's were and what you got at AS?
    A*A*A*BBBCCDE (GCSE)
    AAB (AS Levels)

Spoiler:
    Show

to be fair ive only been in education for three years because i was hospitalised until year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Surely you'd be intelligent enough to know that your GCSEs wouldn't hold you down? If you're not then I suppose unemployment suits you. :dontknow:

How does it matter though...

You don't have to be bum buddies with the rest of the unemployed you know?
    But I was told by my maths teacher on GCSE results day that "Employers don't regard a B in GCSE Maths as good enough anymore, they want to see an A".

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    ...is this a troll?
    I promise it's not, Messiah. It's about maths and the incredible competition of graduate jobs - I'm not saying that my GCSEs are "bad" or that anything below is bad, I'm just asking if it will hold me back due to competition and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Once you graduate uni GCSEs don't matter hell they aren't even too fused about a levels either if anything the only other thing that matters is experience in that field of work, no point knowing all the theory if there is no proof of it being put into practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casisalive)
    Once you graduate uni GCSEs don't matter hell they aren't even too fused about a levels either
    Even though the competition for jobs is extremely high?

ReputationRep:
    Some students work really hard to get a GCSE grade C. A grade B is really difficult to achieve in Maths. There are many people who would love to have your grades so stop moaning and get working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    A*A*A*BBBCCDE (GCSE)
    AAB (AS Levels)

Spoiler:
    Show

to be fair ive only been in education for three years because i was hospitalised until year 11

Oh I hope you're better now!x And well done for getting to Cambridge!x Just I can't stop thinking about my GCSE grades and if they are good enough (I'm an idiot and I did no revision)...

ReputationRep:
    New Question:

Would it be safe to say that employers would highly value relevant Work Experience ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Oh I hope you're better now!x And well done for getting to Cambridge!x Just I can't stop thinking about my GCSE grades and if they are good enough (I'm an idiot and I did no revision)...
    I hope that you get into Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes that reminds me - I suppose this thread can be used by anyone that feels as though they may be held back by their GCSEs. Feel free to, you've helped me so I want to help back

ReputationRep:
    Even though the competition for jobs is extremely high?
    Most places I had interviews with didn't really ask questions about my academics once I proved I had the correct grades. Most of the questions and things they look for are how comfortable you are in that field of work, what different roles you have performed and how quickly you can adjust to these roles. GCSEs get over shadowed by a levels and then a levels get overshadowed by uni, no need to stress employers won't mind how you performed as a 16 year old aslong as your current grades are good

ReputationRep:
    I hope that you get into Cambridge
    Aww thank you so much!x Just going to have to work very hard for AS (but I just procrastinate so much!)...
    Btw- your GCSE grades are pretty good, honestly I don't think they'll hold you back at all and best of luck!x
    Tbh (like somebody else said) I think the best chance of improving your employablity chances is WORK EXPERIENCE...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.